1980 Reading

Ritchee came out of the York White Roses ... funny story about when he went Jr to Sr ... he calls Lefty from Sky in the late Spring looking to join NY ... Lefty sez "Wadda ya play kid?" ... Ritchee: "solo soprano" ... Lefty: "I need annuder solo sop like I need a hole in the head (we only had 22) - call me next year kid" ... hence ... Ritchee joins Reading ... true story ...

:-)

And he never did play With Sky. Interesting.

Back in those days, and I know it was true for Buccaneers, that any one of the lead players could have played any of the solos and as far as screaming parts, a lot of them were done by the entire section (i.e. "LaFiesta" had the whole top section going up to B above high C and even at the end of a show, "Ebb Tide" we had Bb above high C, to just name two).

That was true for most corps, just listen to the records and you hear some real balls to the wall playing by all the lead sections and not just sops.

(BTW, "balls to the wall" expression refers to the centrifugal control used on steam powered machinery. At full power, with no speed limitations, the steel balls on the regulators would lift up pointing towards the wall. Rather benign when compared to what most people think it means.)

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW....

Here ya go...

http://www.ritcheeprice.biz/performances.htm

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Pricie forgot to include the annual Forum gig with Westshore. They usually rock the house!

Back in those days, and I know it was true for Buccaneers, that any one of the lead players could have played any of the solos and as far as screaming parts, a lot of them were done by the entire section (i.e. "LaFiesta" had the whole top section going up to B above high C and even at the end of a show, "Ebb Tide" we had Bb above high C, to just name two).

That was true for most corps, just listen to the records and you hear some real balls to the wall playing by all the lead sections and not just sops.

(BTW, "balls to the wall" expression refers to the centrifugal control used on steam powered machinery. At full power, with no speed limitations, the steel balls on the regulators would lift up pointing towards the wall. Rather benign when compared to what most people think it means.)

Yes, the proper improper phrase is "TFE" (male reproductive glands fully extended).

That Marty is just a plethera of totally useless knowledge! (But one hell of a horn player) :tongue:

Well ... I knew it was a year with a seven in it that I was not sure of ...

That's too funny!!

PS: Where's my can of Sunny?

Re: Just because it's a little slow over the holidays, can we settle on the proper spelling of Richee? I'll bet a can of Sunny he prefers Richee.

ROFL!!!! Sorry, but, I had this whole idea of *two birds / one stone* kind of theory I was working on. :tongue:

You are a trip!!

Ritchee came out of the York White Roses ... funny story about when he went Jr to Sr ... he calls Lefty from Sky in the late Spring looking to join NY ... Lefty sez "Wadda ya play kid?" ... Ritchee: "solo soprano" ... Lefty: "I need annuder solo sop like I need a hole in the head (we only had 22) - call me next year kid" ... hence ... Ritchee joins Reading ... true story ...

:-)

GOD! I can *so* hear him saying that!!!