Tuba Marching Harnesses

sonofjabba

This isn't for drum corps but maybe someone could give me advice before I pull the trigger.

I have a Yamaha YBB-321 Concert tuba I want to use in parades with a small group I'm with. It's not set up for being a convert for bugle corps style marching nor do I want it to be it would look even more out of place than it already does. So Don't bother barking up that tree.. If that was the case I'd use my Kanstul.

Neotech and Meinl Weston Make Marching Harnesses for tubas. I'm leaning towards the Meinl Weston. Its more money (Double the price of a Neotech) but it looks more like the harness that will do the job. Anyone try either of these? I never had one before so I have to ask. All I have are a couple reviews on wwbw.com.

snare drum sling?

snare drum sling?

No way, dood. Tubas are built with two big eyelets for hooking up a dedicated sling. One just below the right shoulder and the other at the left hip. [They don't come with a leg rest.]

This isn't for drum corps but maybe someone could give me advice before I pull the trigger.

I have a Yamaha YBB-321 Concert tuba I want to use in parades with a small group I'm with. It's not set up for being a convert for bugle corps style marching nor do I want it to be it would look even more out of place than it already does. So Don't bother barking up that tree.. If that was the case I'd use my Kanstul.

Neotech and Meinl Weston Make Marching Harnesses for tubas. I'm leaning towards the Meinl Weston. Its more money (Double the price of a Neotech) but it looks more like the harness that will do the job. Anyone try either of these? I never had one before so I have to ask. All I have are a couple reviews on wwbw.com.

The local middle school has a couple of 3/4 concert tubas that they sometimes need to use for marching band. (They have one sousaphone that was salvaged from a tag sale - good story.) The kids have used Neotech harnesses and found them to be fine. The only hassle came when they tried to sit down and play at an awards assembly. The harness was a hassle. And keep in mind that middle school kids are prone to complaining about stuff.

No way, dood. Tubas are built with two big eyelets for hooking up a dedicated sling. One just below the right shoulder and the other at the left hip. [They don't come with a leg rest.]

Don't waste the money on a tuba carrier. Just use a Ludwig snare sling, or if you really have to spend more, use a Ludwig bass strap. The snare strap will be just a comfortable and easily adjustable. Only a tuba player that actually uses a tuba this way can give you a proper answer, sorry Norman! :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
Don't waste the money on a tuba carrier. Just use a Ludwig snare sling, or if you really have to spend more, use a Ludwig bass strap. The snare strap will be just a comfortable and easily adjustable. Only a tuba player that actually uses a tuba this way can give you a proper answer

Not that I don't respect ya, Mac, but I wanted another opinion. So I surfed on over to TubeNet, where the heavies hang. Here's what one of the regs had to say:

I say strap on!

I suggest one of these:

http://www.tubaexchange.com/accessories-de...%20TUBA%20STRAP

American Music Products DX-TBA Tuba Strap

Free Shipping!*

$26.95

It is the most comfortable strap I have ever used.

So ........ who posted this wisdom ??? It sez:

Post by BigDale » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Not that I don't respect ya, Mac, but I wanted another opinion. So I surfed on over to TubeNet, where the heavies hang. Here's what one of the regs had to say:

I say strap on!

I suggest one of these:

http://www.tubaexchange.com/accessories-de...%20TUBA%20STRAP

American Music Products DX-TBA Tuba Strap

Free Shipping!*

$26.95

It is the most comfortable strap I have ever used.

So ........ who posted this wisdom ??? It sez:

Post by BigDale » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 pm

I *think* he is just listed as a "bugler", which means he has not posted enough, or they haven't realized he is actually some sort of "pro". The strap is the most comfortable strap I have ever used. Also works for tubas that have no strap hooks! And for the record, Kenny, I just found this strap about 4 days ago!

AMP%20tuba%20Strap%202.JPG

bigstpete.jpg

Edited by BigDale

I made my own. Ludwig strap has huge steel hooks that I know will cause boo boos to my Yamaha's finish. I cut the shoulder straps off of an old back pack, sewn them together and used a couple extra pieces of the Denier Nylon to connect it and for adjustment. cost me about a half hour of time.

I used it at two standing jobs. I corrected a couple potential problems with loosening, while moving. Re-Bent my Lyre for the 400th time, but I need to actually parade with it..

I was holding the horn too upright for marching. It should hang more angled. I'm used to Bugles, Sousaphones and Saxophones. Marching with a concert tuba is still like some weird evilness.

My maiden voyage will be in a parade next Saturday. I think I'll need more than green beer...

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

I made my own. Ludwig strap has huge steel hooks that I know will cause boo boos to my Yamaha's finish.

I was holding the horn too upright for marching. It should hang more angled. I'm used to Bugles, Sousaphones and Saxophones. Marching with a concert tuba is still like some weird evilness.

My maiden voyage will be in a parade next Saturday. I think I'll need more than green beer...

IMG_0460.jpg

The only problem with the drum strap is the potential to unhook, especially if you have to dance or do some agressive choreography. What you "invented" is just the strap I have shown above, minus the quick release mounts, which are not that important anyway.

Adjust your stap just a little more open, to get that preferred angle. Support the horn with one hand under the horn and you will be just fine. Good luck!

I did not invent it. I stole ideas from my Dimarzo Guitar Strap, and some other previously failed attempts at creating one. Making one made out of 3" Wide Elastic was hilarious....

If I find a tossed out Kids Car Seat with those quick connects It will be Perfecto!

Funny Your Strap is the Same as the Brand Name as on my Bari-Sax Reeds!

Thanks I need Luck and plenty of Green Beer.