New corps forming in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

True North Drum & Bugle Corps is in the process of organizing and setting up all the legal obligations to begin rehearsals Sept. 14 in the Soo. Anyone out there wanting to pitch in we can use some information. First we will be looking for local instructors for twice a week rehearsals and Caption Heads for all sections from the Soo or the states. Camps will probably be held in Michigan looking for a good site now) Also we have been lent instruments from the Sudbury BLUE SAINTS that with guard we can already march 40. If anyone knows of G horns and any other equipment we can borrow we will consider marching more. Dollars will be the major deciding factor.

We have a temporary site on the web to get information to the local teens to first tell them what drum corps is and then collect names and sections but anyone can sign up for the newsletters and/or send us emails.If all goes well.....We'll see you on the field in 2010.

TRUE NORTH DRUM CORPS

Web Site truenorthdc.org

email to director@truenorthdc.org

Do the Bandettes (I forgot the new name) no longer exist? I thought they were just in limbo right now.

Steel Town Brass did go into limbo as you put it, in Feb and at the Sept board meeting it was decided to shut it down due to lack of members. All equipment went out of town to where it will be used to start up a new corps also. It was a sad surprise but it's over and done with so after an aceptable period of mourning I decided to start a new one and reaction from those I've spoken to since Dec. has been very positive and everyone seems to want to help. So, here we go again, the show must go on!

Go to the site and get on the mailing list and we'll keep you up to date.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

Rick

Director

• 6 months later...

Steel town Brass does exist.

And Rick, you should put on your site and your newsletters and everything that this corps is not Bandettes and is not affiliated with the Bandettes organization at all.

Steel town Brass does exist.

And Rick, you should put on your site and your newsletters and everything that this corps is not Bandettes and is not affiliated with the Bandettes organization at all.

Which corps? Steel Town Brass or True North. It's been clearly stated that True North is a new organization forming to start a new corps from scratch. I'm a little confused about Steel Town Brass still being active as all their equipment was sent to Don in Michigan to start a new corps there and it was made totally clear that the new corps could not use the Bandettes or Steel Town Brass names.

If you have further information about a corps still active in the Soo, I would love to hear about it. We would stop our plans immediately and go help them build up. Officially though and I was there at the board meeting, last September the Bandettes organization of which Steel Town Brass was affiliated, was disbanded and arrangements made for the equipment to go to Don in Michigan to start a new corps there.

But to clearly state it publicly, True North is a completely new organization with no affiliation whatsoever with the Bandettes or Steel Town Brass..We are presently incorporating as a separate organization and will operate as such. Some confusion may have arisen due to the fact that I am still using bandettesdriver as my screen name. I'm not sure but thinking about it now I will change it since Bandettes no long exist and I owe all my allegiance to the new corps.

Hope this clears things up Jenny and sorry if I caused you any distress. We published our new web site today if fact and the only reference to the Bandettes is on top of the site pages where there is a picture of a retreat in Wisconsin with Bandettes lined up in the center of the picture and above it are the words "always in our memories." The website url is in another forum topic started today.

I hope you keep involved with drum corps as your kind of dedication and work ethic will help any organization be better.

Edited by bandettedriver

Maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did. I thought Don might still be using the STB name. And thanks for the kind words Rick ^_^

Having started a couple of corps, I always wish anyone else taking on this challenge the best of luck. Knowing the situation in Canada regarding marching bands (or lack thereof), I really hope you can put together an organization to pick up the torch in the Soo.

Now, I love G brass as much as any old skooler out there, but are you sure that's the direction you want to go? The proof is pretty much in the pudding that DCI judging has made it known that G brass is no longer acceptable if you want to sucessfully compete. Perhaps contacting a World class corps with a sponsorship from Dynasty or Yamaha, and may be selling used instruments as they replace/upgrade their brass, would be a better way to go.

I know G brass is still available, but with most corps having made the switch to Bb/F, there just aren't that many used horns out there any more. Dynasty or Kanstul can make new ones for you, but that would be pretty pricey for a start-up organization.

Kanstul Bugles

Dynasty Bugles

Good luck, Rick!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

True North Drum & Bugle Corps is in the process of organizing and setting up all the legal obligations to begin rehearsals Sept. 14 in the Soo. Anyone out there wanting to pitch in we can use some information. First we will be looking for local instructors for twice a week rehearsals and Caption Heads for all sections from the Soo or the states. Camps will probably be held in Michigan looking for a good site now) Also we have been lent instruments from the Sudbury BLUE SAINTS that with guard we can already march 40. If anyone knows of G horns and any other equipment we can borrow we will consider marching more. Dollars will be the major deciding factor.

We have a temporary site on the web to get information to the local teens to first tell them what drum corps is and then collect names and sections but anyone can sign up for the newsletters and/or send us emails.If all goes well.....We'll see you on the field in 2010.

TRUE NORTH DRUM CORPS

Web Site truenorthdc.org

email to director@truenorthdc.org

Truly the best of luck to you in your adventure. Get it done. I look forward to seeing you in the future, and will donate when I see it live.

Having started a couple of corps, I always wish anyone else taking on this challenge the best of luck. Knowing the situation in Canada regarding marching bands (or lack thereof), I really hope you can put together an organization to pick up the torch in the Soo.

Now, I love G brass as much as any old skooler out there, but are you sure that's the direction you want to go? The proof is pretty much in the pudding that DCI judging has made it known that G brass is no longer acceptable if you want to sucessfully compete. Perhaps contacting a World class corps with a sponsorship from Dynasty or Yamaha, and may be selling used instruments as they replace/upgrade their brass, would be a better way to go.

I know G brass is still available, but with most corps having made the switch to Bb/F, there just aren't that many used horns out there any more. Dynasty or Kanstul can make new ones for you, but that would be pretty pricey for a start-up organization.

Kanstul Bugles

Dynasty Bugles

Good luck, Rick!

Garry in Vegas

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I REALLY appreciate it. The g horms were getting from Sudbury Blue Saints are on load, As soon as we are operational we can start applying for grants from the Ontario Trillium Foundation to replace the borrowed equipt with new b horns. Our problem now is when Sudbury checked their inventory of old equipt they founds the don't have many sopranos and no snare drums to lend.

WE must appeal to any organization out there with g horns or 3 or 4 snares that can be spared. We think we can have all the borrowed equipt back by Christmas of 2010.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support, it does put an extra spring in ones step when going about the many task.

Let me know if any corps out there has equipt they are willing to lend.

Rick Moxon

Director