You know what I think?

I was pretty much away from the activity for several years, and when I started getting re-involved, I was dismayed by the greatly reduced numbers of corps that still existed nationally. Worse than that, the limited view of the corps that do still exist. When I see posts on these forums such as:

Wow, have you been at all 12 corps' camps already?

it makes me wonder if there is any hope for the future of non-finalist corps.

Hopefull, the greatly increased number of venues for events such as the upcoming "countdown" show will help. In this area, the number of theaters carrying the broadcast has increased from 1 to 5, so maybe more potential corps members will see some great performances and be inspired.

I still worry ,though, about the tunnel-vision view of the activity that is available. If a high school student comes out to an open class startup expecting that corps to be world class finalist caliber, it may be hard to convince them to stick around long enough to see what the corps experience is all about.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been mentioned that little or no local support was the demise of a lot of drum corps through the years[ I know, I've been there], and I'm just sitting here thinking," Gee, this is a two-way street isn't it? I mean, when the corps are looking for local support they want the businesses, merchants, and John Q Public in that particular area to all stand behind them, but when I look at, say, a top 12 drum corps, how many of the marching members are actually from that particular area? Example- Madison Scouts; how many members are actually from Madison [born and raised]? Or how about SCV? Cavies? This may be "urban legend", but I heard a story a few years back that a LARGE percent of the members of one particular corps didn't even LIVE in the state the corps was from!

Not picking on above named corps, justy my $.02 worth..........

I was pretty much away from the activity for several years, and when I started getting re-involved, I was dismayed by the greatly reduced numbers of corps that still existed nationally. Worse than that, the limited view of the corps that do still exist. When I see posts on these forums such as:

"Wow, have you been at all 12 corps' camps already? Congratulations!"

it makes me wonder if there is any hope for the future of non-finalist corps.

Wow talk about taking a quote way out of context! Here is the original statement that I reponded to:

"I think a more shocking announcement is going to be someone who ISN'T utilizing synths this year. In fact, I don't know of any of the top twelve that is not using a synth."

My response was:

"Wow, have you been at all 12 corps' camps already? Congratulations!"

Obviouosly, my reponse was not a slap at the non-finalist corps, but was in reply to the OP's statement that he did not "know of any of the top twelve" not using synths. If you are going to arbitrarily use quotes from other people in other threads (even other areas of the boards), please use them responsibly.

My appologies, Harvey. I see now how taking your post out of context doesn't allow for what may have been implied by the post that you were responding to.

I was commenting on my thoughts at the time how your wording of "all twelve corps" (rather than 'all of the top twelve corps') struck a chord of how so many people see the activity only in terms of the DCI finalists. When I origially read that thread and saw your post, I thought that if trends continue, we may indeed see a time soon when "all twelve" would be an accurate description of corps. I didn't mean to imply that you were showing disrespect to non-finalist or open class corps, but that so often these corps are not even considered in discussions of the activity.

Again, no offense intended.

No worries. I also hate the modern "elitist" fans that only show up to watch the top 5 or 6 WC corps at shows. The last show I went to last summer was very sparcely populated when the first corps (an OC corps) took the field, but by the time the 2008 WC champ hit the field, it was packed. I heard many of the younger crowd talking about what they saw in the parking lot. :worthy:

Very discouraging to this old timer.

It gets worse.

The sposoring organization for my little alumni corps offers an assistance program for junior corps aged kids. This is one way of keeping to our purpose to "further and promote" the activity until we are (hopefully) able to field a junior corps of our own. One applicant for this season withdrew, because he didn't make the line at the probable contender corps he had auditioned for. We would have been proud to sponsor him even had he ended up playing 2nd triangle with the East Bumblscum Weasel Stomper Cadets or some such. This high school student with no corps experience felt that, for him, a non conteder corps wasn't an option. There are other world class and open class corps closer to home that would probably have been very glad to take him, but in his mind, the next best thing to top 6 was spending the summer on the couch.

I am reminded of a time when corps was about more than championships, and not all "winners" were the ones with the rings. It sometimes seems to be fast passing away.

No worries. I also hate the modern "elitist" fans that only show up to watch the top 5 or 6 WC corps at shows. The last show I went to last summer was very sparcely populated when the first corps (an OC corps) took the field, but by the time the 2008 WC champ hit the field, it was packed. I heard many of the younger crowd talking about what they saw in the parking lot. :worthy:

I feel bad for the OC corps. Kids get discouraged when they are at a show and no one is there. Later walk in the stands after there show and cant find a seat. It doesnt matter what class you are in kids will feed off energy from the crowd. Crappy crowd = low energy show.

Canos 2004 we were in Kzoo. We were the first corps on. Talk about a waste of time. As we were playing you could hear people talking over the us, People were walking around, and most were not even paying attention. We could have just stood there and people wouldnt have noticed. Not as bad as teh oklahoma city focus show, That show as a joke. There were about 15 people in the stands by the time that the spartans got on the field, the place was packed, why they were all kids from other corps.

If the Colts and the Colt Cadets are ever at a show together pay attention to the back of the stands, chances are The Colts are always there cheering them on.

Young elitists all of them. And how dare we not tell them how to behave and how to spend their money. How dare they support a drum corps show and the sponsor corps. Darn elitist young people. </sarcasm>

Evidently, you don't need their money, but sadly, many a drum corps currently does.

1. I could care if butt one is in the seats as long as all seats are sold.

2. Souvies sales help the bottom line too...as do concessions.

3. If I could figure out a way to charge for the "lot show," I'd do that too.

I feel bad for the OC corps. Kids get discouraged when they are at a show and no one is there. Later walk in the stands after there show and cant find a seat. It doesnt matter what class you are in kids will feed off energy from the crowd. Crappy crowd = low energy show.

Canos 2004 we were in Kzoo. We were the first corps on. Talk about a waste of time. As we were playing you could hear people talking over the us, People were walking around, and most were not even paying attention. We could have just stood there and people wouldnt have noticed. Not as bad as teh oklahoma city focus show, That show as a joke. There were about 15 people in the stands by the time that the spartans got on the field, the place was packed, why they were all kids from other corps.

If the Colts and the Colt Cadets are ever at a show together pay attention to the back of the stands, chances are The Colts are always there cheering them on.

Wow...performing in from of anyone is not a waste of time.

And you want to perform in front of bigger crowds? The answer is simple...get better. You answered the question yourself. Spartans had a bigger crowd because they were better.

And you know...let's take this out further...let's look at a corps like Madison or Crossmen. The better they get, the more people they get to perform for. Last year was better than 07 for the Scouts. Perhaps this year will be better for XMen.

It's really a simple equation...get better as an individual, a section, a corps...get better and you get more people showing up.

FANS DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING. YOU OWE THE FANS...A #### GOOD SHOW FOR THE MONEY THEY PAID FOR A TICKET.

It's really that simple and your example of some kind of entitlement is most likely why your corps never got it and most likely never will.

Wow...performing in from of anyone is not a waste of time.

And you want to perform in front of bigger crowds? The answer is simple...get better. You answered the question yourself. Spartans had a bigger crowd because they were better.

And you know...let's take this out further...let's look at a corps like Madison or Crossmen. The better they get, the more people they get to perform for. Last year was better than 07 for the Scouts. Perhaps this year will be better for XMen.

It's really a simple equation...get better as an individual, a section, a corps...get better and you get more people showing up.

FANS DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING. YOU OWE THE FANS...A #### GOOD SHOW FOR THE MONEY THEY PAID FOR A TICKET.

It's really that simple and your example of some kind of entitlement is most likely why your corps never got it and most likely never will.

Very understandable post.

Your right, the crowd don't the performers anything. But have you performed a drum corps show with noonw in the stands? I have. Not as much fun. I think DCI should promote the Open class Shows more. I see flyers for just about every world class show during the summer at various schools.... never see anything about open class.

It's good to know that others share my thoughts. Only if there was some we can easily do to fix everything and make Drum Corps enjoyable again.