Florida's Fantastic Finalists

While looking through the recap sheets, I just happened to notice that the State of Florida had a grand total of 13 guards that qualified for their respective class finals. And the Sunshine State was, indeed, represented in all 6 classes.

That’s pretty darn impressive.

Of course, with Florida being a GINORMOUS state, population-wise, it’s not so surprising that several guards from within its boundaries would earn a spot in Finals.

I do find it interesting, though, that the various guards represent just about every geographical area of the state, from the very “Southern” feeling panhandle regional in the North allllllll the way down to the steamy, spicy, international celebrity playground of Miami.

Here’s a look at the ensembles that represented the State of Florida so incredibly well in Finals this year:

Independent World

4. Northeast Independent, Jacksonville

8. Braddock Independent, Miami

11. The Knights, Orlando

14. Premonition, Ft. Lauderdale

Scholastic World

3. Flanagan High School, Pembroke Pines (Ft. Lauderdale area)

6. Choctawhatchee High School, Ft. Walton Beach (Pensacola area)

13. Freedom High School, Orlando

15. Seminole High School, Seminole (St. Petersburg area)

Independent Open

8. USF Winter Guard, Tampa

Scholastic Open

10. Crestview High School, Crestview (Pensacola area)

14. Cooper City High School, Cooper City (Ft. Lauderdale area)

Independent A

4. FIU Performance Ensemble (Miami)

10. River City Independent (Jacksonville)

Scholastic A

2. Spanish River High School, Boca Raton

3. Lyman High School, Longwood (Orlando area)

well, with disneyworld right there, i just figure the arts are in abundance in florida! idk where everything is in respect to disneyworld, but it seems to make some sense, right?

I don't think Disney has anything to do with it...lots of guards yes but when you look at thr hundreds of guards in Florida,, there should be alot...even more successful

While looking through the recap sheets, I just happened to notice that the State of Florida had a grand total of 13 guards that qualified for their respective class finals. And the Sunshine State was, indeed, represented in all 6 classes.

That’s pretty darn impressive.

Of course, with Florida being a GINORMOUS state, population-wise, it’s not so surprising that several guards from within its boundaries would earn a spot in Finals.

I do find it interesting, though, that the various guards represent just about every geographical area of the state, from the very “Southern” feeling panhandle regional in the North allllllll the way down to the steamy, spicy, international celebrity playground of Miami.

Here’s a look at the ensembles that represented the State of Florida so incredibly well in Finals this year:

Independent World

4. Northeast Independent, Jacksonville

8. Braddock Independent, Miami

11. The Knights, Orlando

14. Premonition, Ft. Lauderdale

Scholastic World

3. Flanagan High School, Pembroke Pines (Ft. Lauderdale area)

6. Choctawhatchee High School, Ft. Walton Beach (Pensacola area)

13. Freedom High School, Orlando

15. Seminole High School, Seminole (St. Petersburg area)

Independent Open

8. USF Winter Guard, Tampa

Scholastic Open

10. Crestview High School, Crestview (Pensacola area)

14. Cooper City High School, Cooper City (Ft. Lauderdale area)

Independent A

4. FIU Performance Ensemble (Miami)

10. River City Independent (Jacksonville)

Scholastic A

2. Spanish River High School, Boca Raton

3. Lyman High School, Longwood (Orlando area)

And a majority of these guards are from the same circuit :) (NEi, Knights, Freedom, Seminole, USF, RCi and Lyman)

One contributing factor might be the support of Florida schools? I know of several systems where color guard is offered as a class, or they offer a dance/choreography class that is made up of the kids in the guard program. Even after they've graduated, this seems like it would strengthen the training and knowledge base for all of the performers who were able to do this.

Just a thought...

~ginger