Carolina Crown Camp Report

Spent about 2 1/2 hours watching Crown rehearse yesterday (1 hr in afternoon/brass and 1 1/2 hrs at night/full ensemble no guard).

Afternoon: Middle of the show (not exactly sure of the piece) working one particular section where the tubas are playing up in the euphonium range followed by a muted trumpet feature. Mellos then take over while the low brass follow the leader into a tight circle with contras on one side in a circle with all mid and high brass in a very "Cadet -like" tight grid on other side of field. Some good impacts, lots of good instruction going on concerning energised air stream, toungue placement and maintaining tone "concept". Time signature is a bear (7/4 at @ 180 or so I believe) but they are handling it with ease.

Evening runthru: Working on First two sections (plus one). Show starts with "Pre-show" music and about 32 sets of drill before first big impact. Lots of really nice small ensemble playing as corps "comes on to the field kinda randomly building to a full fledged chorale unified form. I am not going to give away to much because I am sure there will be changes, but I will say that once the show actually gets going, it is not a typical beginning as the brass give way to the percussion which allow the hornline to do some nice geometric drill leading up to a nice brass hit into a nice "Cavalierish" unwinding block. Lots of high energy (they are pushing 188 right now but I think are going to eventually shoot for 200) giving way to slower movement. Very nice Brass sounds, especially during the more Chorale type sections. Very enjoyable what I've seen so far. Look forward to seeing more this week. Will try to keep you updated.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update and look forward to hearing more! Post some photos if you can and try to see some of the guard too.

Thanks for the update T-Mac. I am driving up to GW on Friday to volunteer & hear the corps for the first time this season! Can't wait....The Grass Is Always Greener.....

Thanks for the update T-Mac. I am driving up to GW on Friday to volunteer & hear the corps for the first time this season! Can't wait....The Grass Is Always Greener.....

Except for when it's dead... It's more of a brownish shade then.

Did you realize that I was referring to the name of Crowns show this year?

Yes lol.

i love the green bass heads!! lol crown is definitely gonna be the corps to look out for. this could be their year. theyve only been in finals since like 1990 right? wow, theyre rockin!!

...to make 2nd or 3rd, right? Oh, and they've been in Finals every year since 1995 (except 2002).