TUBA HELP!

hawaiituba

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK well I'm not a noob at the tuba. I know how to play the Standard 3 valve C tuba. I have always wanted to try out for Blue Devils. Since they use BBb tuba's with 4 valves ive always wondered what the fingerings would be like. So if anybody could help me with the fingering I would really apreciate that. Thank you. Open Discussion if you want to.

The 4th valve can be used in place of 1/3 combination. It significantly helps tuning on those notes.

There's already a thread you have open concerning tuba and BD, so I'm merging this thread with the other one.

Yes Sorry about that. I just really need all the help i can get. Thank you though.

OK well I'm not a noob at the tuba. I know how to play the Standard 3 valve C tuba. I have always wanted to try out for Blue Devils. Since they use BBb tuba's with 4 valves ive always wondered what the fingerings would be like. So if anybody could help me with the fingering I would really apreciate that. Thank you. Open Discussion if you want to.

The fingerings are one whole step different. With a BBb tuba, the Bb's are fingered "open", whereas on a CC tuba, C's are fingered open. All other pitches would change acordingly, as the paterns are consistant, just transposed by a whole step. (C=1/3 or 1 (or 4), D= 1/2 or open, etc.) If you google "brass fingering charts" you can find several downloadable charts that will make this very clear.

C & BBb tubas.. dont get confused... your tuba is in "concert pitch" along with all other bass clef instruments. the instrument itself is most commonly pitched in Bb. consult a tuner and play open pitches, look for these notes (Bb, F, Bb, D...) .. if you actually have a tuba pitched in C (more common within orchestra) then your pitches will read (C, G, C, E...)

the 4th valve adds full chromatic capability within the low octave and provides tuning alternatives (low B = 2 & 4 rather than 123) you can pretty much turn the horn into an F horn by holding the 4th valve down. i'd practice long tones with the 4th valve down. (4, 24, 14, 124, 234, 134, 1234) etc.

Yes, while I have realized here that my experience is hardly the indicator, I have not seen a CC tuba that comes in three valves either, most being either 5 or 4 valve variations.

I agree with DaveBari above me with doing long tones, but when getting used to four valve combinations, I would suggest using more Remington-style exercises to not only hit the lower range, but to develop more of a tone and air support continuity between the notes.

By this I mean starting on low open Bb and at about quater note=60 (or just however slow you can go, it'll take a lot of air) go from Open-2, Open-1, Open-12, Open-23, Open-4, Open-42, etc.

Strive to make your tone as consistent as possible in this low range.

Yes, while I have realized here that my experience is hardly the indicator, I have not seen a CC tuba that comes in three valves either, most being either 5 or 4 valve variations.

I agree with DaveBari above me with doing long tones, but when getting used to four valve combinations, I would suggest using more Remington-style exercises to not only hit the lower range, but to develop more of a tone and air support continuity between the notes.

By this I mean starting on low open Bb and at about quater note=60 (or just however slow you can go, it'll take a lot of air) go from Open-2, Open-1, Open-12, Open-23, Open-4, Open-42, etc.

Strive to make your tone as consistent as possible in this low range.

I heard BD is getting new tubas this year. Since Dynasty is the only company with a 4 valve tuba, and other companies have dropped their 4 valvers in favor of 3 valvers, could BD/Dynasty possibly be downgradiong to 3 valve horns? Also, if anyone has info on the new tuba they will be using, please post.

Thanks

CC tubas are generally pro-level horns; most 3 valve tubas (except for sousaphones) built these days are student level, and at least 4 valves has pretty much been a pro requirement for any tuba at that level. The fifth valve is starting to reach that level as well. On F tubas 5 is pretty much mandatory, and 6 is becoming increasingly common.

I heard BD is getting new tubas this year. Since Dynasty is the only company with a 4 valve tuba, and other companies have dropped their 4 valvers in favor of 3 valvers, could BD/Dynasty possibly be downgradiong to 3 valve horns? Also, if anyone has info on the new tuba they will be using, please post.

Thanks

Not good...

You know (I hate to bring this up), I've been hearing that the use of.. *shudders* synthesizers to help the low brass (particularly tuba) sound is going to be apparent this year. Eliminating the 4v horn, and/or limiting your tuba/contra line to <10 is probably your problem of NOT HEARING YOUR LOW BRASS! Take the Phantom approach. Get a bad*** low brass line with proper horns (although, I'm still unsure about their move to Jupiter).

I hope to own a 4v G contra one of these days (Kanstul Grande 4v with S-style lead pipe *drool*). I just hope they'll still make them.