Boston's Dress Rehearsal 6/16

I did a sort of half-###ed review of BosCru's dress rehearsal last night but in the "New Uniform" thread.

Just in case anyone's curious about the Crusaders I thought I'd run through my reactions here.

By way of disclaimer, I'm not a totally disinterested or unbiased party, being former staff, parent of 4 former Crusaders who had a combined total of 29 years on the field, and dad of one of the current instructors, so factor that into my review. On the other hand, I've taught and judged for decades, so I hope my observations are not totally without merit.

Temptation! Last night's performance flew by, in more ways than one - when they crank the tempos, which they do quite a bit in this show, they are flying on very high octane energy. In traditional Boston style - the whole show is right in your face from the beginning, but this year there's a light touch as well, as if they're haivng fun being themselves and spoofing themselves at the same time. There's a few delicious (you'll get the reference when you see them) sight gags from players and guard, all of whom are having so much fun on the field the staff had to ask them to dial back the fun level a tad. It was pretty infectious too, as the crowd at Quincy HS Stadium, mostly Sader alums, were into it from beginning to end.

The hornline is in exceptional shape - totally full, and I mean capital F full - 12 tubas who really play, right up through a brilliant trumpet section. The book is masterfully put together, with sections that feature each section at some point. There is also a gorgeous legato section that the brass section really expresses beautifully. The Bachanalle is pulsing and exciting, and crescendos musically and emotionally from beginning to end. The only folks who'll be sitting at the end of this show will be the unfortunate few who accidentlly crazy glue their butts to the bleachers. Musically and visually this piece is at peak adreneline for the final minute or so.

Drumline is cranking - pouring out long features with panache. This is not my area, and there's clearly a lot left to clean, but they are the pules of this high energy production, and understand their role.

Likewise the guard still has some things to insert into the show and were performing in street duds last night, but man what a fun crew!!! They are just exhilerating to watch and bring the show together with a theatrical flair. FUN!!!

Lest I over-hype last night's performance, there's a lot of room for growth here. Some of the visual moves are really, really taxing and will take a while to synch. This is not a cautious show designed for early season success and early peak and plateau. Still have to see the guard costumes. Still some bits to go in. Lots of room for improvement.

But, for long time Boston fans who remember the days when the corps was only starting to gear up at this time of the year, this performance was light years ahead of the old days. There's a top-of-the-pack feeling to this corps and this show that permeates the stadium, from staff in the box, through staff on the field, through every marching, playing, dancing, spinning member.

Alright - I told you I'm a little partial. Go see 'em. Make up your own minds. For me being able to go 4 miles from my house and check them out brought lots of chills besides the ones that came with the Global Cooling we're experiencing up here this Spring. Brrrrrr.

Could be a Giant season for the Cru.

Edited by rayfallon

Thanks for that great review Ray! Why don't you hop a plane to Florida to defrost my friend! BTW...I love their new uni's...

Thanks for that great review Ray! Why don't you hop a plane to Florida to defrost my friend! BTW...I love their new uni's...

I was going to say "wait til you see them, Mary... then I remembered you're probably seen them all winter. Lot of your fans there last night, Jack, Richie, Gil, Jimmy Hughes, Ed, the list goes on and on...

Come up North if it ever warms up up here... just don't stand next to me in a parade - ya little smart ###

I was going to say "wait til you see them, Mary... then I remembered you're probably seen them all winter. Lot of your fans there last night, Jack, Richie, Gil, Jimmy Hughes, Ed, the list goes on and on...

Come up North if it ever warms up up here... just don't stand next to me in a parade - ya little smart ###

Ray....I do love you so! :thumbup:

I would love to march next to you again anytime! I will be there to catch you! Are you going to Rochester this year? Hope to see you then!

Take Care...

A great review, Ray, but can you reach even more potential fans by giving it in Chinese? Hey, that's right! You actually can! Here's hoping Boston can conquer new heights with this creative program.