Cvlcd f Brss

I decided to go to the Naperville IL show tonight. Unfortunately, the show was rained out after two corps so there isn't much to report, but here's what the experience was like.

Venue: North Central College's stadium seats about 7000-7500 on one side. The stands are good and steep, but very far away from the field due to the track. I had a pretty good sight-line on the 40, DM left about 8 rows up. There's about an 8 foot elevation between the field and 1st rows of stands, much like DeKalb.

Parking: Is HORRENDOUS. I had to park about 6 blocks away in a residential neighborhood. Most of the north/south streets near the stadium were closed off and being used for corps parking.

Amenities: I paid 25 bucks for my ticket (they had a few extra reserved tickets that they were selling). 7 bucks gets you a hot dog, bag of chips and a 20 oz Pepsi.

Revolution: They had a decent show tonight. They played Pat Metheny's "Heat of the Day" and did a good job with it for the most part. They played a lot of this chart facing back or side field for good musical effects. That'll sound good in a big stadium when they have other bleachers to bounce the sound off of. I noticed a lot of horn-facing and attack problems throughout the show, and high brass was consistently being overpowered by the low brass. At the end of the show the whole brass line started running out of steam and got pretty muddy. Endurance is clearly an issue at this point in the year.

Racine Scouts: Not much I can really say about this group. With only 15 horns, they hardly put out any ensemble sound at the start of the program, but improved a bit as the show went on. Their sop and bari soloists had some good licks at various points. They closed with Gordon Goodwin's Sing Sang Sung, which unfortunately is probably over their heads as an ensemble.

Overall thoughts: DCI sent everybody home around 9:30ish without even having a standstill inside the fieldhouse. BOOURNS to that. I'll consider my 25 bucks as a charitable donation to Cavies' bus fund and hope for better luck in Madtown tomorrow night. With the bad parking situation, Cavies should consider moving this show back to Lisle- or better yet, DeKalb.

yeah, i too was quite disappointed at no stand-still but as they were trying to clear the stadium and force people in to the (murNer, not murDer) field house, at one point a cop came back and said it was already full, and there were plenty of people still in the stadium so i guess there wouldn't have been any room for one.

it does of course make me wonder why isn't something like that considered when selecting a show site...we all hope no show ever gets rained out, but of course at least one does every season, and especially since there are only two shows in the northern IL area (i know i for one couldn't make it down to normal on a friday night in time for the show) all season, i would hope for the future that they would consider if the show site can support a standstill or not.

of course i also find it slightly outrageous that the only shows in IL, one state (and only three hours) away from Championships are done in the first week of the season. wouldn't it make soooo much sense to bring the corps back through here on the way to IN????? oh well, this is how CA feels every year (though i don't live there anymore!!)

please scheduling guru, look into this for next season. thank you

of course i also find it slightly outrageous that the only shows in IL, one state (and only three hours) away from Championships are done in the first week of the season. wouldn't it make soooo much sense to bring the corps back through here on the way to IN????? oh well, this is how CA feels every year (though i don't live there anymore!!)

please scheduling guru, look into this for next season. thank you

The Naperville show has always been right before DCI in previous years. I really don't understand why it had to be scheduled in June - especially, as you said, the corps all have to come back to Indy. I know that in the past these shows are usually sell-outs.

yeah, i too was quite disappointed at no stand-still but as they were trying to clear the stadium and force people in to the (murNer, not murDer) field house, at one point a cop came back and said it was already full, and there were plenty of people still in the stadium so i guess there wouldn't have been any room for one.

Are you talking about the guy on the Segway?