New "for profit" drum corps forming in the Dallas TX area

(Posted this last week in the Brass forum. At the suggestion of my brother ContraRich77, posting here also to increase visibility. Thanks!)

Greetings:

I'm forming a "for profit" drum corps in the Dallas - Ft. Worth TX area. Phase 1 will be brass. Once that is solid, it will be easier to add guard and percussion.

Once I have commitment from the minimum instrumentation, if that ever happens, the first rehearsal will be scheduled.

Key elements:

1) No dues

2) After modest administrative costs, performance fees will be split among performers

3) Performers supply their own equipment and uniforms

4) High skill level required

5) Minimal group warm up / "instruction"

6) Emphasis on intonation

7) G bugles - or B flat if you can blend

8) Rehearsals - one week night per month - one extra rehearsal prior to a gig if needed - (schedule conflicts with other local drum corps will be avoided)

9) New music will be emailed to members well prior to playing it as a group for the first time - woodshed at home, refine and polish when we get together

10) All members will be treated as what they are - professionals

Customers envisioned to be grand openings, conventions, sports teams, etc. We won't solicit gigs until we have well developed material.

The main goal of the corps will be fun, not money.

Please post or send me a private message. I will answer your questions and start a list of interested performers. Minimum instrumentation to schedule our first rehearsal would be 3 sops, 2 mellos, 2 contras, and 3 baritones/euphs. Other types of middle voices welcome as well.

Thanks!

you should talk to the Hit Men and Prime Time Brass here in Rochester - they both do very well..

don't know why you would bill yourself as a for profit drum corps... that may limit your performance opportunities - many of the corporations are on the look out specifically for non profit groups that may be able to fill there bill. You do realize you can still have paid performers and be non profit? You just have to be above board and report everything legally. Think of it as a drum corps made up of paid instructors only... as long as it's all written up properly and kept reasonable - it would work...

you should talk to the Hit Men and Prime Time Brass here in Rochester - they both do very well..

don't know why you would bill yourself as a for profit drum corps... that may limit your performance opportunities - many of the corporations are on the look out specifically for non profit groups that may be able to fill there bill. You do realize you can still have paid performers and be non profit? You just have to be above board and report everything legally. Think of it as a drum corps made up of paid instructors only... as long as it's all written up properly and kept reasonable - it would work...

Thank you for the tip! If there is a legal way for the performers to get paid and the corps be a non profit, that would be better of course. I will look into that angle.

done all the time... you think that district director of the boy scouts works for nothin'?

(Posted this last week in the Brass forum. At the suggestion of my brother ContraRich77, posting here also to increase visibility. Thanks!)

Greetings:

I'm forming a "for profit" drum corps in the Dallas - Ft. Worth TX area. Phase 1 will be brass. Once that is solid, it will be easier to add guard and percussion.

Once I have commitment from the minimum instrumentation, if that ever happens, the first rehearsal will be scheduled.

Key elements:

1) No dues

2) After modest administrative costs, performance fees will be split among performers

3) Performers supply their own equipment and uniforms

4) High skill level required

5) Minimal group warm up / "instruction"

6) Emphasis on intonation

7) G bugles - or B flat if you can blend

8) Rehearsals - one week night per month - one extra rehearsal prior to a gig if needed - (schedule conflicts with other local drum corps will be avoided)

9) New music will be emailed to members well prior to playing it as a group for the first time - woodshed at home, refine and polish when we get together

10) All members will be treated as what they are - professionals

Customers envisioned to be grand openings, conventions, sports teams, etc. We won't solicit gigs until we have well developed material.

The main goal of the corps will be fun, not money.

Please post or send me a private message. I will answer your questions and start a list of interested performers. Minimum instrumentation to schedule our first rehearsal would be 3 sops, 2 mellos, 2 contras, and 3 baritones/euphs. Other types of middle voices welcome as well.

Thanks!

Go ahead and start out on Bb.

Wait a minute!!! Did Steamboat just say that?

Go ahead and start out on Bb.

Wait a minute!!! Did Steamboat just say that?

Your suggestion has merit 'Boat. I'll get member's opinions on that question.

Also, I should mention that this group will rehearse indoors, or outdoors if the weather is comfortable. No Texas heat, or cold winter weather for this group!