Which finish on your horn/mouthpieces do you prefer?

Martybucs

I was wondering what finishes anyone else in particular, might prefer on their horn(s). I've tried lots of finishes through many years of playing and have some preferences of my own.

I think I like silver plating the most, even if it's German silver (nickel). I find it to be mostly durable, more so than lacquer.

I like the tonal properties it gives the horn.

I tried a real expensive trumpet for a couple of weeks that was raw brass and thought it was awful to hold after a week of playing it. The brass had this gritty, yet greasy feel. I had to polish it so as not to gross me out. I don't remember having that same feeling with one of my first bugles, a CONN piston/slide that had no lacquer on it anymore. Guess because we had to keep them shined for inspections.

I have only played gold plating when trying out a horn and I thought was nice, but not worth the price, (other than the increased value of the metal itself).

I do like gold plated mouthpieces and would like to get my current favorite gold plated, but silver is OK, too. Don't like raw brass. I had an original Parduba double cup that I tried to play on for many years, (didn't work for me). Within 2 months all the silver plating had worn off the darn thing.

My bugle is chrome plated, no, not like a bumper, but like a proper G bugle should be. I take it out of the case every couple of weeks/months, whenever we have a job and it's always shiny and ready to go! Sounds great too, but that may be because I'm so good :laughing: .

chime in if you feel like it.

Well, ive never played chrome, but from what I have played the gold plate is just to dark sounding to me, laquer is kinda cheap looking and sounding, I havent played a brass plated either, Personally I like my silver horns they have some brightness but are not terribly bright like a nickle plated. Thats my chime in. Though I do agree that raw brass is nasty feeling.

Well, ive never played chrome, but from what I have played the gold plate is just to dark sounding to me, laquer is kinda cheap looking and sounding, I havent played a brass plated either, Personally I like my silver horns they have some brightness but are not terribly bright like a nickle plated. Thats my chime in. Though I do agree that raw brass is nasty feeling.

Silver horns are actually brass horns with a silver plating. I don't know if any manufacturer actually makes a totally silver horn, although, I think Stomvi used to offer a sterling silver bell.

Someone else used to offer a crystal bell, too. I would be terrified of breaking it!

Silver horns are actually brass horns with a silver plating. I don't know if any manufacturer actually makes a totally silver horn, although, I think Stomvi used to offer a sterling silver bell.

Someone else used to offer a crystal bell, too. I would be terrified of breaking it!

I ment silver plate, and a crystal bell? Id probably be terrified that Id break it to haha. You think you'd have to use FINISH "the diamond standard" (dishwashing soap)

I have to agree with you Marty, on the nickel/chrome plating as used to be used on bugles. I have a circa 1969 soprano that still looks great. Silver may sound a little better (I really can't do a proper comparison), but the maintenance involved in keeping them looking good, and the relatively less durable properties are a drawback.

As a buyer of horns for kids to use, I am disappointed the the chrome finishes are not as available, as I think they are the best of both worlds.

I'm allergic to silver...So I prefer Gold over anything else, really.

to me, nickel sounds like crap (no offense to anyone who uses it or likes it...thats just my opinion)

Silver and Gold are my two favorites...prefferably gold, because it doesnt irritate me as easy...and I love the sound the gold makes.

I have two mouthpeices, one in gold and one thats all silver:

Bach Megatone 3C (gold)

Holton MF 6 (silver)

My horn is also pure silver...so I usually have to wear gloves when I play it for long periods of time, else my hands will get dry and irritated...

And gold plated horns are actually brass with a silver plating and then a gold plating of approximately an ounce of gold over the silver.

If I could afford it, I would gold plate my Wild Thing, but the cost is about $800-$900. :tongue:

Edited by DoubleHighEZ

I'm allergic to silver...So I prefer Gold over anything else, really.

to me, nickel sounds like crap (no offense to anyone who uses it or likes it...thats just my opinion)

Silver and Gold are my two favorites...prefferably gold, because it doesnt irritate me as easy...and I love the sound the gold makes.

I have two mouthpeices, one in gold and one thats all silver:

Bach Megatone 3C (gold)

Holton MF 6 (silver)

My horn is also pure silver...so I usually have to wear gloves when I play it for long periods of time, else my hands will get dry and irritated...

I don't think any horns are made of pure silver. I believe I read where it's been tried and it isn't practical from an expense standpoint, but also from an acoustic standpoint. I'd have to look up the exact reasons, I don't remember them, but some are obvious, if you think about it.

I believe Stomvi makes a sterling silver bell option.

Most likely, your horn is a good quality silver plating over brass.

Also many mouthpieces that are said to be silver are actually nickel/silver.

Gold is my favorite too, though.

And gold plated horns are actually brass with a silver plating and then a gold plating of approximately an ounce of gold over the silver.

If I could afford it, I would gold plate my Wild Thing, but the cost is about $800-$900. :tongue:

You are correct.

I have played gold plated trumpets. They are nice and they feel nice as you're playing them, if you know what I mean.

I've often wanted to try a Wild Thing. The reviews of it on trumpet sites really run the gamut, though.