How can Drum Corps (or marching music)...

So how is the judging to take place in this format ? How much a role will the fans in attendance have in allocating points, and how much will the judges ? And how do the judges in the booth gauge the reaction to the guy and gal down in the 1st row on the 20 yard line to the visual component to the show that they can't see properly ?

i didnt say it was perfect, but neither is the current system.

it is my opinion that shows could and should not be judged to a set of standards, because in the end, it is all art. who can say what is better? you me, the dci judge. all that we have is opinions. judges in brass, perc, and visual discuss captions based on polish. Show GE vastly overrates this in the effectiveness of the design. This is my issue. GE is the biggest problem, because it overrides design elements for the sake of design toward a corps. What can they do most effectively. Thus, the cleanest corps wins because of the design of a show to the talents of its members.

If a caption was added to the overall adhesiveness of the design in General Effect, and the corps overall brass/perc/visual design was given a caption, lets call it "tech effect", corps would be better judged. This, with taking into account audience opinion would make it perfect.

Also, a non profit can never generate enough revenue. DCI would take the income stream and be able to put it toward national marketing. BTW- Went to the movies and saw an advertisement for World Championships. A lot of people were excited about the cool drill they saw. :satisfied:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Blast! is a good example of making it an artform. They took a drum corps show as we know it and turned it into a concert. The whole concept and everything fits what drum corps should be, but then again, I wouldn't be ashamed to show it to some pretty serious musicians.

The concept of a field show isn't accessible to most people, in the same way that opera isn't: they have to think too much to understand it, and unless they're familiar with the conventions and details, it's just too much. This is the appeal of movies and musicals: action that's easy to follow, because it's in the native language and everything is shoved into your face.

In order to broaden our appeal, we need to "train up" new audiences, and that means we need to get off our artsy field-show high horse and play a few Sousa-style concerts at city park. Few people today get acquainted with the affective side of music... because most of what they have a chance to experience is either the ignored background music of a movie or Pop Song v.579.5.12 (remixed to appeal to today's brand of lovesick or angry listener, with references to the latest hot fashion or racy-but-acceptable terminology). They generally don't know how to channel the mood of the composer without lyrics, and most don't even realize that they're missing something. They might care if they had a reason to... but they don't know.

It goes without saying that your average potential audience member doesn't want to shell out $15 bucks to watch something that is, for all of their experience, dancing band geeks. If they had a chance to experience live music, at no cost and without feeling like they forgot their dark sunglasses and a beret, they might discover that drum corps is actually kinda cool. They might check it out again... maybe even pay for it. Heck, maybe they'd even start to explore other music than what they discovered last night on MySpace.

I hate that we have to dumb things down for people as much as the next guy, but if we refused to dumb things down for Kindergarten, the world wouldn't go very far. People need to be educated to appreciate complex ideas; music and art are no different. Don't make it sink-or-swim, because if you don't reach out to people, they'll let you sink like a rock.

hahaha. i was thinking of crossmen 06 when i said that.

but, really, it could be anything, specifically something cool and thought out. but, as of now, video projectors are legal (99% SURE). Maybe something more subtle, like a color, red to blue to green, while the corps appears to change color, behind the scrim.

look up 92 Star. now, imagine that with the scrim moving.

pretty slick. :thumbdown:

A few thoughts...

1) very impressed with brass line. Wish I could have seen them live.

2) appreciated the arrangements and very grateful 'Stars and Stripes' was not included

3) inclusion of guard in drill was amazing, also loved the integration of the drumline into the drill with the hornline

4) did not care for the 'screens' used through out the show. personally, I found them distracting

5) did like the BAF.

I do see how your ideas would mesh well with this design. It just doesn't seem to tickle my fancy.

What do you think?

I just want friggin sharks with friggin laser beams on their heads.