First off, let me say that both corps put on very good performances in the Dome. I think Atlanta should be proud to have two great All-Age groups in the same city!

Alliance

HOLY CRAP! My what can happen when you win a world championship (even a Class A one). The first thing you notice about this group compared to recent years is just how much bigger they look on the field. They still have a huge battery [bigger than last year's], but this year there is no covering up this hornline! These guys can fill up the room with their sound. My only criticism is that they need to learn to explore their dynamic range more in between soft and loud. It seemed that they would play quietly during technical sections, and then hit you across the face with a wall of sound. Not a lot of crescendos and decrescendos happening right now.

Their drill MOVES! I have never seen a DCA corps run this much. Not kidding on this one, they are hauling throughout the show. This could attribute to some of those smaller sounds that happen on the move, but I have confidence that it will be much improved by the Rockmart show. I also noticed many places where the corps stood in place [particularly in the second half of the show], but were not doing anything musically. I am assuming that their design staff will do something with these holds???

All I can say is that DCA may not be ready for this show [good or bad]. It is very different than what we usually get from a DCA corps... and you know what, I think that is why I love this show!

Corpsvets

Certainly a change in pace from the high-flying act that Alliance put on just before them. The corps looks a bit smaller, but I did notice some hornline members on the sidelines during the performance (I am guessing new members). With that being said, it looks like they will top out around 40 brass... pretty good in a bad economic year.

"Southern Suite" is Corpsvets doing what they do best [probably why they are doing so well this season]! Overall, I felt like they did a better job at finishing their show, but I could not help but notice the difference in visual demand between the two groups. The music is fun and the soloists are even more fun. The battery has kept it simple this year and the guard is performing very well!

Thoughts:

I don't see Alliance staying "behind" the Corpsvets for very much longer. The Corpsvets are much cleaner than Alliance, but I do not see that staying like that the entire season. Personally, I thought Alliance had them tonight, but that is why I do not judge, I guess. I think it is VERY likely that we will see at least two southern corps in Finals this year. Corpsvets and Alliance both did an excellent job this year. I was excited I had the privelage to see both of them in the Dome! They represented DCA very well.