Open Class when the Economy Recovers

Thank you...I stand corrected and edited... :lol: If Yamato isn't technically an International corps, how come they competed as an international corps in 2007? How does that work? Again please correct me if I am mistaken, didn't both Yamato and Beatrix get scored as internationals and not div 2's?

Yamato competed as div 3 from 05-07 (and before that as well) as I competed against them too. Beatrix and tiepae yofu (yes I know I probably spelled that wrong) competed as international corps

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamato competed as div 3 from 05-07 (and before that as well) as I competed against them too. Beatrix and tiepae yofu (yes I know I probably spelled that wrong) competed as international corps

Sorry, I got my corps tied...this is what I was looking for:

The other six corps competing tomorrow are, from Division III, Impulse (79.025), Oregon Crusaders (82.600), and Dutch Boy (84.625). The Division II corps competing are Vanguard Cadets (90.650), Fever (89.075), and Blue Devils B (90.650). The Yokohama Scouts, from the International Division, will also perform tomorrow. (From the DCI Archives).

And in 08, Yamato entered open class (with the rest of the D3 outfits), and Beatrix was still in international.

http://www.soundmachine.org/dci/dciscores.htm

This is just the review of a fan, so take it for what it's worth.

First off Greendale HS seems it was made to host small corps, awesome seating, the consessions wern't insanly over priced (and lets face it, they usually are), and the weather held out to make it a beautiful night to watch drum corps.

As usual for an open class show there was a fairly small but extreamly supportive crowd. I urge all of you that wait for the World class shows to get off of your collective butts and go to an open class show. These were all quality groups, and more entertaining then the norm of what world class is these days. So that being said off we go.

I found this on the All-Corps reviews just by chance. I thought it fit some of the OC discussions happening. Here is the link to the rest of the posts:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=128170

The first few posters after the review mention why I have only been an Open Corps fan for three years even though I have been a drum corps fan for a long time...I just wasn't aware of the divisions besides what is now World Class.

When I think of the potential for Open Class failing, I don't think of it from a fiscal point of view, I think of it from a lack of membership interest. I know I can't be the only one out there who thinks Drum Corps is a dying activity in terms of interest. You can attribute it to whatever you want, but I've been noticing for the past ten years or so that somehow, less and less potential members are populating the drum corps membership ranks. We all know of the time (60s and 70s) when corps were VERY well recognized in their communities. Many members, both locally and regionally, were joining these corps, whether it be through personal interest or family involvement. Now that we live in a time where members are traveling greater distances to audition for a specific corps, we have seen many of the less competitive and Open Class corps dwindle in membership and interest.

While Drum Corps will always have a remarkably high number of fans, I really feel as though the current membership interest is what will eventually constitute the demise of Open Class. It seems like the affluant only care to travel to their corps of choice in World Class, while the locals have seemed to lose interest. Perhaps it's a money issue with potential members, but I think it's just an overall lack of interest.

Blue Devils B, Vanguard Cadets take top spots after Open Class 'seeding' events

By Justin Herberger | jherberger@dci.org

Monday, August 3, 2009 - 10:45 AM

Blue Devils B drum majors Andrew Wood and Eddy Pineda said the corps is pleased with Sunday’s performance as well as their progress this season.

“Everyone really pushed through the show tonight,” Wood said. “Everything we worked on in practice really showed up in our performance.”

Wood says the corps’ drive for perfection has paid off this summer. “We’ve been working hard and I think the members really enjoy the opportunity to perform for a great crowd. This is an Open Class corps, but we rehearse like a World Class corps.”

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=2...36-a381902205d7