mouthpieces of yester-year

screamsop

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered what kind of mouthpieces sopranos were playing in the 60-70's. Were there a lot of bachs or were there other choices also in corps.

Parduba NY 5* and 5-1/2* for some, Rudy Muck for others. I think my brother was playing top sop on a Bach (17EW???). I still use my 5-1/2*.

Parduba NY 5* and 5-1/2* for some, Rudy Muck for others. I think my brother was playing top sop on a Bach (17EW???). I still use my 5-1/2*.

And let's not forget the ever-popular JetTone ... Which was kind of like a penny with a hole drilled in it. Great for screaming. For tone? Not so much.

I started in 1964 on a 7C. Then in 1969 Ray Eyler got us all playing Parduba 5 Star mouthpieces. I played on the Parduba until 1976 and switched to a Giardinelli 10M. I play a Curry Mouthpiece now, but I forget the size. (600 series, I think and has sort of a double cup look to it, but not as pronounced as a Parduba)

I never quite got the hang of the Parduba. I played well and had good range and endurance, but it never felt comfortable for me.

I did a short stint on a Schilke 13a4A back in '76 also and off and on since, but don't care for my sound on it.

Curry mpc, I play now is definitely the best mpc, for me, that I've found.

When I marched (in the 70s), SCV had a lot of Schilkes (15 was popular) and Bach.

I was in BD, and our guys played on the CG3 or CG3S (Claude Gordon)

I wonder what those top screamers from North Star/Bridgemen/Muchachos/ect... were playing.

Bitd? Schilkes, Pardubas, Jet-Tones, you-name-it. Larry tried to get the line to standardize on Bachs ... Went over light a lead weight off a proverbial diving board.

Bitd? Schilkes, Pardubas, Jet-Tones, you-name-it. Larry tried to get the line to standardize on Bachs ... Went over light a lead weight off a proverbial diving board.

I never understood why some people think that Bach mouthpieces are the ONLY mouthpiece one should play. Most of the people I know, that tried to get us to play on Bach mouthpieces weren't all that good themselves, yet thought they knew what was good for everyone.

I have nothing against Bach mouthpieces. I started on one, like most players, then moved on when I found mouthpieces that worked better for me, as far as sound, comfort, then range and endurance.

Lots of great players use Bach mouthpieces, probably even more great players don't.

I started in 1964 on a 7C. Then in 1969 Ray Eyler got us all playing Parduba 5 Star mouthpieces. I played on the Parduba until 1976 and switched to a Giardinelli 10M. I play a Curry Mouthpiece now, but I forget the size. (600 series, I think and has sort of a double cup look to it, but not as pronounced as a Parduba)

I never quite got the hang of the Parduba. I played well and had good range and endurance, but it never felt comfortable for me.

I did a short stint on a Schilke 13a4A back in '76 also and off and on since, but don't care for my sound on it.

Curry mpc, I play now is definitely the best mpc, for me, that I've found.

I played a Bach 7C all my years of competitive drum corps except the last when I used a Schilke 13a4A. The Schilke was a real flame thrower for range coming from the 7C and the 4 rim was more comfortable and better for endurance but bad for attack precision. I also did not like my sound on the Schilke for legit trumpet playing (too piercing and narrow). Also, if you have thick lips, when you tire and start to use pressure, you can "air biscuit". I later switched to a Schilke 15B which was a better sound for me. Now I play a Bach 3C and I like the fuller and rounder sound. When I play drum corps, I use a GR 66M which has the same rim feel as the 3C, but a little better for endurance I believe due to the more v shaped cup. The sound is a little less rounded than the 3C which I prefer for concert band.

BTW, Ray Eyler is one of my drum corps gods. The triple tonguing he did with Archer Epler in 1964 was amazing!

Edited by Geneva