mouthpieces of yester-year

screamsop

I played a Bach 7C all my years of competitive drum corps except the last when I used a Schilke 13a4A. The Schilke was a real flame thrower for range coming from the 7C and the 4 rim was more comfortable and better for endurance but bad for attack precision. I also did not like my sound on the Schilke for legit trumpet playing (too piercing and narrow). Also, if you have thick lips, when you tire and start to use pressure, you can "air biscuit". I later switched to a Schilke 15B which was a better sound for me. Now I play a Bach 3C and I like the fuller and rounder sound. When I play drum corps, I use a GR 66M which has the same rim feel as the 3C, but a little better for endurance I believe due to the more v shaped cup. The sound is a little less rounded than the 3C which I prefer for concert band.

BTW, Ray Eyler is one of my drum corps gods. The triple tonguing he did with Archer Epler in 1964 was amazing!

Ray, is one of the nicest people you could ever meet, too. :thumbup:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched (in the 70s), SCV had a lot of Schilkes (15 was popular) and Bach.

I was in BD, and our guys played on the CG3 or CG3S (Claude Gordon)

The contras in BD were pretty famous for using the Conn Helleburg gold plate.

I always liked that mouthpiece.

Look closely...

auldman86a.jpg

BigDsFans.jpg

bigstpete.jpg

Chris, you always thought I was good. You should hear me now! :blink:

Edited by BigDale

Chris, you always thought I was good. You should hear me now! :blink:

Would love to!

You should think about coming out for the Humboldt Brass Chamber Music Workshop some time!

http://www.humboldt.edu/brass/

I always liked Schilke trumpet mouthpieces for drum corps. I used a 15 for years. I also had a Vincent Bach 3c which may not seem like a big deal, but it was the older model with the small lettering and everyone who used this particular mouthpiece commented that it played differently than any other 3c. I ended up lending this mouthpiece to a friend after I aged out and never got it back. Needless to mention I lost a friend and a mouthpiece on that one.

It's a big difference between jet-tones/pardubas and what the Blue Devils were playing CG3,WD1, and now something they've just developed which I've heard is like the other 2 which aren't bad. I guess you use what does the job.

I know Doc Severinson and Al Hirt played on Jet Tone mouthpiece, but I don't think I ever personally knew anyone that played on a Jet Tone. That said, of course, I have a Jet Tone mouthpiece, tried it, didn't like, but still have it.

Edited by Martybucs

My brother and I used a popular item from the late 50's called a Bel Air... similar to Jet Tone... hunk of metal with a pin #####... Many Brigs at the time used them and I remember being told that the entire Yankee Rebel lead line used them... circa 1959

gave up tone for range and endurance

Our lead sops blew pardubas (double cupped). They could scream in the upper register, but when they had to get down low it was tough.

My brother and I used a popular item from the late 50's called a Bel Air... similar to Jet Tone... hunk of metal with a pin #####... Many Brigs at the time used them and I remember being told that the entire Yankee Rebel lead line used them... circa 1959

A couple of the older guys in Bucs Alumni still play on Bel Air mouthpieces. They're in their seventies so there must be something good about them.

I know they seem to give a lot of vibrato! :laughing:

Monette has fixed that problem, it's called the BL6. Narrower and shallower then any mpc. I've ever seen(except for Joey P's) but allows me to play in ALL registers with incredible ease! :laughing:

Edited by DoubleHighEZ