2010 Auditions

So here's the deal. I marched a low tier WC corps this year and I want to move up in the world for next year. While my time at the other corps was a lot of fun, I want the experience of night shows and new people.

I am a mallet player and I was wondering how the auditions work for pit kids in a top 12 corps. Also, what are individual auditions like, and what kinds of skills/chops should I have to even stand a chance at the top 12?

I thought about doing Madison Scouts, but they lost to Surf in drums at Allentown, and at that point I might as well march Surf (which would still be a step up!).

I am now considering Glassmen, Bluecoats and Phantom, but I am a little nervous. Does anyone know how these corps run their auditions or what their pit books are like technically?

Thanks for your help in advance, I am just so lost in the upper tier audition scene. . .

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of how much better you are now than when the 2009 season started. That's how good you will be expected to be for the group for which you plan to audition. If you were one of the better players in your corps, you probably stand a good chance.

Usually, there's not a huge difference between lower tier and upper tier in terms of instruction. The upper tier groups just have fewer clueless rookies and more experienced drum corps veterans.

I don't know much about how pit auditions go, but I highly endorse the Glassmen. Glassmen have a strong pit every year, but we had a few age-outs in the pit this past year, so there will be several spots open for 2010.

Think of how much better you are now than when the 2009 season started. That's how good you will be expected to be for the group for which you plan to audition. If you were one of the better players in your corps, you probably stand a good chance.

Usually, there's not a huge difference between lower tier and upper tier in terms of instruction. The upper tier groups just have fewer clueless rookies and more experienced drum corps veterans.

I'd say there IS a huge difference between tiers in terms of instruction.

As a former brass player, I can't give you much help as far as auditioning for precussion specifically. But I would say generally, just go try out where you want to go. You won't know for sure how well you can hang until you try it. If you go to a camp and they're way out of your league, then step down a little and try another corps that's not so highly placed.

When you find a group where you think you're in the same league as the other auditionees, then make sure you make it to all the camps. Show up to the camps prepared and knowing what they've told you to know and having practiced what they they've told you to practice. Showing up consistently and being prepared will put you ahead of most other auditionees.

So here's the deal. I marched a low tier WC corps this year and I want to move up in the world for next year. While my time at the other corps was a lot of fun, I want the experience of night shows and new people.

I am a mallet player and I was wondering how the auditions work for pit kids in a top 12 corps. Also, what are individual auditions like, and what kinds of skills/chops should I have to even stand a chance at the top 12?

I thought about doing Madison Scouts, but they lost to Surf in drums at Allentown, and at that point I might as well march Surf (which would still be a step up!).

I am now considering Glassmen, Bluecoats and Phantom, but I am a little nervous. Does anyone know how these corps run their auditions or what their pit books are like technically?

Thanks for your help in advance, I am just so lost in the upper tier audition scene. . .

I hate to be obvious, but your questions are better answered by contacting the staff directly. Give them a few weeks to get back to answering their e-mail/phone calls, but most staffers are anxious to talk to newbies -- recruiting is part of their job. Make sure you know when their camps are -- that's mandatory to attend even if you're not sure you're ready to audition. Showing up is as almost as important as nailing the audition. There will always be better players out there who won't stick because they can't raise the money to travel or whatever.

Edited by Gaddabout

I'd say there IS a huge difference between tiers in terms of instruction.

what do you mean? do upper tier staff members scream and demand more than lower tier? what kinds of differences are you talking about.

thanks for your general help so far everyone- the more information I can get, the better!

Whichever way you go, I'd say one thing I really wish I did was talk to somebody who marches where you're thinking of going. Find someone who marches Phantom pit, someone who marches Glassmen pit, someone who marches Bluecoats pit. (Actually, find someone who marches Madison pit, too. But I'll send you a PM about that.) Ask what the atmosphere's like, how the group is, how the instructors work, what kind of people they are. It really is different in lots of places. I wish I'd asked around first. Not because I regret where I marched -- not at all -- I just wish I'd been better informed.

As far as how auditions work: All three places I've been to were more or less the same in that at the first camp, you played warmups with the auditionees in ensemble for a while and eventually played a solo for the caption head. In 2009 my unimpressive solo got me cut from a, let's say, "top 8" corps, so make sure it's presentable. Other than that, at the audition, just be yourself, be positive (pleasant!) and be on top of your mental game and it all should go fine.

what do you mean? do upper tier staff members scream and demand more than lower tier? what kinds of differences are you talking about.

thanks for your general help so far everyone- the more information I can get, the better!

Other people can disagree all they want, but I stand by my statement. From personal experience: the Crossmen made 16th place this year. In 1998 we were in 7th place. There is FAR better instruction going on in the corps today than there was back then. There are other factors in play here, including:

-In the upper tier corps there is a culture built around excellence and attention to detail. The membership drives the staff by performing their best every time. More mistakes are made by the members in corps that do not have this same culture of excellence.

-Lower tier corps tend to have younger members. Regardless of talent, there is a big big difference between a 17 year old corps member and a 20 year old.

Look at Carolina Crown's instructional staff. A large percentage of them are former Crossmen staff members. For a variety of reasons, they didn't get the same results at the Crossmen than they get at Crown. I guarantee they didn't suddenly start teaching any differently when they signed that Crown contract.