Top Ten Blue Devils drumlines of all time

You talking about that Blond hair guy that would use 6 mallets on occasion? Props to Catherine Float for her pit arrangements.

Yes! And God bless Catherine. Ahhhh ... complex jazz chords! Hooray! Wasn't just rudimental vomit on a keyboard.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad Scott Johnson thinks that. Not to mention he has done way more in this activity than I have. WAY MORE.

But from what I saw with my own eyes, I am not seeing it. In order to be GREAT or LEGENDARY as a line, you need to be otherworldly in my opinion. Cadet's '89. Star '93. SCV '91. Cadets 2000. BD '03. Crossmen '92.

You can't do things like play simple triplet rolls dirty in the lot (which BD's snare line did this year). I also wouldn't say that this year's tenor line was as crazy good like some in past years (they were very very good, though).

But hey, this is DCP, so I guess I am allowed to disagree with Scot Johnson and run the risk of looking the fool.

Well, I'm sure Big Papa is looking at it from a macro perspective, and I would sort of agree with him. I think a lot of us associated BD with unreal battery scores, and while this one had some challenges, it wasn't the flam fests of the past. So maybe it skews judgment there.

Yes! And God bless Catherine. Ahhhh ... complex jazz chords! Hooray! Wasn't just rudimental vomit on a keyboard.

I love Catherines writing!

Here's one more note on 1990, speaking of her. The keyboard ensemble work you hear just before the drumsolo (following pinball wizard) that is featured was originally an ACCOMPANIMENT to some brass parts. Apparently the staff liked it so much they cut out the brass and left the keyboard stuff as a (very cool) feature.

Here's one more note on 1990, speaking of her. The keyboard ensemble work you hear just before the drumsolo (following pinball wizard) that is featured was originally an ACCOMPANIMENT to some brass parts. Apparently the staff liked it so much they cut out the brass and left the keyboard stuff as a (very cool) feature.

I always loved that transition from the pit to the brass. Now I know why it was so good. Thanks!

The 92 Crossmen,is that the one with the super fast snare riffs? I have the hardest time playing that on my steering wheel,lol.

Personally, there are many good ones but I wouldn't put 09' at the top. I liked their tenors but their snares were unmemorable,totally. The 90 line was very good,snare line was very tight. The 88 line was equally as good and that show was one of my all time favs music-wise..

Personally, there are many good ones but I wouldn't put 09' at the top. I liked their tenors but their snares were unmemorable,totally. The 90 line was very good,snare line was very tight. The 88 line was equally as good and that show was one of my all time favs music-wise..

Actually, the snare line in 90 was the weakest link of the drumline that year. It all came together in the end, though.

88, different story (those guys were unreal...probably the cleanest snareline in DCI history!)