Less West Side Story in the future?

And as I have stated, that which is more than a physical construction, especially something so pure and idealistic as music in its natural state, can not be contained within parameters that we imperfect beings seek to manipulate and bind it to.

And yet, you seem to be saying at the same time, it is.

Note the rules you keep trying to impose upon it. They're your rules, sure, and different than the rules of, oh, let's say, U.S. copyright law, but they're rules nontheless. Rules come up with by you, and which you find very logical and right, but which, according to your own philosophical stance, the music itself cares not a single blind whit about.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's absolutely no point in grousing, at all, about what the heirs of Bernstein choose to do or not do with the music created by Bernstein and to which they hold the copyright.

No, the point was raised about the possibility of arrangers arranging his specific music, which has a specific meaning to people who have grown up or grown with it. The point that you raise does not satisfy the original question.

And as I have stated, that which is more than a physical construction, especially something so pure and idealistic as music in its natural state, can not be contained within parameters that we imperfect beings seek to manipulate and bind it to.

And for that matter, if music is itself a more than physical construction, then logically My Right To Have My Choice is also a more than physical construction and transcends both my death and the rules you might want to put on it, such as "it ends at death"

No, the point was raised about the possibility of arrangers arranging his specific music, which has a specific meaning to people who have grown up or grown with it. The point that you raise does not satisfy the original question.

Sure it does. The music is forever, which means every arrangement of it is forever, and every interpretation of it is forever. And since Forever is infinite and Infinity is Infinite(by definition), then there are an infinite number of musical pieces in Forever-existence that would have the exact same meaning and effect to anyone listening as any Bernstein piece has or could.

So just grab one of the infinite number of pieces floating out in the aether that aren't one of the ones Bernstein wrote down, and you're golden.

And yet, you seem to be saying at the same time, it is.

Note the rules you keep trying to impose upon it. They're your rules, sure, and different than the rules of, oh, let's say, U.S. copyright law, but they're rules nontheless. Rules come up with by you, and which you find very logical and right, but which, according to your own philosophical stance, the music itself cares not a single blind whit about.

Correct!

But, at the same time that I feel a guardian to Musaeus.

I debate the laws of the physical world.

I keep sacred and honor the truth of the divine world.

Always in search of the truth that binds them both together to the closest point, but I will inevitably fail.

Sure it does. The music is forever, which means every arrangement of it is forever, and every interpretation of it is forever. And since Forever is infinite and Infinity is Infinite(by definition), then there are an infinite number of musical pieces in Forever-existence that would have the exact same meaning and effect to anyone listening as any Bernstein piece has or could.

So just grab one of the infinite number of pieces floating out in the aether that aren't one of the ones Bernstein wrote down, and you're golden.

And you could indeed do that! Thats the beauty of music.

It transcends spoken language. I could write a piece of music and have it set on stage to the same show, and it might have the same effect.

Welcome Mike!

Join the party. This is the first time on DCP that I've had the chance to stretch my intellectual legs in a long time!

Correct!

Always in search of the truth that binds them both together to the closest point, but I will inevitably fail.

In other words, you do nothing but make yourself feel good.

Got it. Your words have no actual bearing on the world or the people in it. There's not a jot of legal or even particularly sensible application to any of them. They're merely intellectual masturbation, carried out in public.

That I can respect.

Correct!

First thing you've said in this thread I agree with.

And you could indeed do that! Thats the beauty of music.

It transcends spoken language. I could write a piece of music and have it set on stage to the same show, and it might have the same effect.

So, as I mentioned, why bother to be bothered, at all, by anything that anyone ever does regarding any aspect of copyright law application?