Basics to starting/running a drum and bugle corps

This is turning out to be a very informative and productive topic if I must say so myself. I appreciate everyone's input. While the idea of an audit was brought up, what has helped as far as internal audits for active organizations? It would appear ( correct me if I am wrong) that a lot of groups in the past have not done a good job at monitoring their own efforts whether it be financial or other standard operating procedures.

I would imagine that a good accountant should handle the financial side of things, but the SOP's need a system of measurement weighing what process is effective and what is not.

Is internal auditing covered in the document mentioned earlier in the discussion?

It's important to remember that DCI does not have direct jurisdiction over the day-to-day operation of the individual corps. In this sense, Drum Corps International is merely the "association" to which these individual companies belong... and as such, the corps are pretty much free to run their businesses as they see fit, for better or worse. The PRC process was established to create some level of baseline or benchmark by which organizations could be measured as to their fundamental ability to conduct their operation within the framework of the association; and to make sure that things would be done in a safe and professional manner. To my knowledge, there is no requirement as to an internal operational audit... although as registered charities, I would imagine that nearly all of the world class corps have sufficient public support as to warrant a mandatory independent financial audit as required by their respective states' departments of consumer affairs (or the equivalent).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy:

The "Participation Review Committee" is made up of 3 people who are not corps directors, nor are they directly affiliated with a corps. They do the "legwork," and work with the management and board of a corps seeking participation on the DCI schedule. After going through a checklist of various requirements and conducting in-person visits with the organization, they make a recommendation to the DCI Board of Directors. The checklist includes a review of organizational processes and procedures utilized by the corps, financial plans, insurance coverages and so forth.

The Board of Directors then has the opportunity to review the reports and recommendation of the committee, and then meets with the management of the corps for additional discussion.

To my knowledge, the Open Class Coordinator uses the same criteria checklist with corps seeking participation at the Open Class level. The process is very similar, although possibly less formal.

When the Jersey Surf was going through this process over the past few years, we utilized the input and vast perspective of the PRC as that of a "coach," not merely to help us pass the requirements, but to help us ensure that our business practices were logical and sound and that they would provide us with the foundation from which to be a part of the DCI World Class. We actually started our review process a full year ahead of our intended application to the World Class so that we could benefit from the input we gained during the evaluation process. That strategy worked very well for us so far, and helped the transition immensely.

Thanks Bobby your the man!!!!