Past Avant Garde Members

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a bunch of folks listed on corpsreps.com

Thanks Gary, I will check it out

I was a member of the Board of the Shoreliners drum corps inc in the 80s when we were the "deciders" for the Cadets of Greece that were hurting for money and membership. We took the group in 86 ( maybe before that a few years?) and loaded a bus for Saratoga Springs and rehearsals with Avante Garde. A small group but dedicated drum corps nuts! :united:

They had a track history of beating 27th Lancers I believe and did some other accomplishments in the DCI Arena. we had it going on at rehearsals but Money and management but a kabosh on the project after a few rehearsals and it never materialized.

I was the Chairman for the DCE sponsored show in Rochester at the University of Rochester's Fauver Stadium the last competing year of Avante Garde and they were accompanied in that show with Bayonne Bridgemen, (another final DCI season), Les Eclipse, 27th Lancers (last competing year), Garfield Cadets (magnificent year for them- beginning of the "Z" pull and West side story) and the first year of Star of Indiana!! Heck of a line up and it was sponsored by the Northmen which was a combo project of Cadets of Greece and the Firebirds from Rochester.

Funny thing about Star.......DCI would not give them any shows on the DCI circuit and I received a call from Joe Guadagnino because he got contacted about this new drum corps that was from Indiana and needed to fill their summer season with shows, whether it be DCI sponsored or other drum corps associations. Each sponsor was able to negoitate a fee rather than follow set fees from associations. It was their "Disney" show that was entertaining and innovative! (Go figure!)

after they went to DCI finals and placed they didn't hasve that problem of shows ever again and you all know the rest of the story! :tongue:

The funny thing is with all those buses and trucks we had logistics worked out at the stadium with the road directly behind the stadium too small to accompany fans and drum corps, so we had them parking along river blvd on the other side. I had appointed guides to all corps so everything would go smooth but 27th decided to come closer on said road and I got a radio call that Patty Poole was arguing with the Sargent of campus security and about to get arrested as 4 buses and a bunch of trucks vans and rvs were idled on the said service road!........not funny at the time but provided some many years of funny stories locally!

what a fun time it was to be around drum corps then! :united:

I was a member of the Board of the Shoreliners drum corps inc in the 80s when we were the "deciders" for the Cadets of Greece that were hurting for money and membership. We took the group in 86 ( maybe before that a few years?) and loaded a bus for Saratoga Springs and rehearsals with Avante Garde. A small group but dedicated drum corps nuts! :united:

They had a track history of beating 27th Lancers I believe and did some other accomplishments in the DCI Arena. we had it going on at rehearsals but Money and management but a kabosh on the project after a few rehearsals and it never materialized.

I was the Chairman for the DCE sponsored show in Rochester at the University of Rochester's Fauver Stadium the last competing year of Avante Garde and they were accompanied in that show with Bayonne Bridgemen, (another final DCI season), Les Eclipse, 27th Lancers (last competing year), Garfield Cadets (magnificent year for them- beginning of the "Z" pull and West side story) and the first year of Star of Indiana!! Heck of a line up and it was sponsored by the Northmen which was a combo project of Cadets of Greece and the Firebirds from Rochester.

Funny thing about Star.......DCI would not give them any shows on the DCI circuit and I received a call from Joe Guadagnino because he got contacted about this new drum corps that was from Indiana and needed to fill their summer season with shows, whether it be DCI sponsored or other drum corps associations. Each sponsor was able to negoitate a fee rather than follow set fees from associations. It was their "Disney" show that was entertaining and innovative! (Go figure!)

after they went to DCI finals and placed they didn't hasve that problem of shows ever again and you all know the rest of the story! :tongue:

The funny thing is with all those buses and trucks we had logistics worked out at the stadium with the road directly behind the stadium too small to accompany fans and drum corps, so we had them parking along river blvd on the other side. I had appointed guides to all corps so everything would go smooth but 27th decided to come closer on said road and I got a radio call that Patty Poole was arguing with the Sargent of campus security and about to get arrested as 4 buses and a bunch of trucks vans and rvs were idled on the said service road!........not funny at the time but provided some many years of funny stories locally!

what a fun time it was to be around drum corps then! :united:

I was out long before this happened I guess. As I mentioned earlier though, Once Jeff Perkins decided to call it quits,,,Avant Garde was doomed, and all the kings horse's and all the kings men,,,,,, and so on. The Keck Brothers were towards the end of AG but DAM they were TALENTED!!!!!

Its a shame that so many of the fine corps that you just mentioned failed to return to the field. Its to bad there was such a difference between the "Haves and Have Nots" in our activity. If DCI truely cared about the activity, they might consider some type of revenue sharing system in order to help good corps that have fallen on hard times. Perhaps that would only help as a temporary fix, but then, its amazing what some of these corps could have done with just a little help at the right time.

Thanks for the info my friend

I marched the final year of Avant Garde in 85. We were not aware of any internal strife that may have been going on with the management. If there was any, the kids never knew it. We got down the road safely that year, we ate well (thanks Matt), and all of our basic needs were met. Not characteristic of a corps that was financially in trouble. I was surprised when I found out in the fall of 85 the corps had folded. After that, we received a letter from the director stating his intentions to hand the reigns over to someone else. Unfortunately, the corps was being turned over to 3 directors and that model proved to be not as effective. The corps was supposed to come out in 86, the show was picked, and they were rehearsing. In May of 86, the corps decided not to come out and 22 of the AG members went on to 27th to fill their ranks. Many other AG members went on to Les Eclipses as well during that time.

Thats how I remember it. Im sure there are some holes to fill in. AG was a very talented drum corps. I look back on my time with them with much happiness. I still keep in touch with many of them.

Juice!

I marched the final year of Avant Garde in 85. We were not aware of any internal strife that may have been going on with the management. If there was any, the kids never knew it. We got down the road safely that year, we ate well (thanks Matt), and all of our basic needs were met. Not characteristic of a corps that was financially in trouble. I was surprised when I found out in the fall of 85 the corps had folded. After that, we received a letter from the director stating his intentions to hand the reigns over to someone else. Unfortunately, the corps was being turned over to 3 directors and that model proved to be not as effective. The corps was supposed to come out in 86, the show was picked, and they were rehearsing. In May of 86, the corps decided not to come out and 22 of the AG members went on to 27th to fill their ranks. Many other AG members went on to Les Eclipses as well during that time.

Thats how I remember it. Im sure there are some holes to fill in. AG was a very talented drum corps. I look back on my time with them with much happiness. I still keep in touch with many of them.

Juice!

Thats the story that I remember, thanks for sharing

Thats the story that I remember, thanks for sharing

Avant, sweet drum corps, always entertained. And IMO they did it with limited resources. What I mean by this, (and you folks who marched Avant straighten me out on this) it seems to me, you pulled from the local area, and really didn't recruit across the country. So you had a nucleus of hard-working, talented kids from all the small towns in Upstate New York, who really made an impact on drum corps. Quite an accomplishment. And if I'm not mistaken some of those kids went on contributing to a number of corps after Avant. Tommy Newell is one who comes to mind, if I'm not mistaken he went on to work with Star???

And I agree you can't say enough about Jeff Perkins, a great guy, did a hell of a job.

Avant, sweet drum corps, always entertained. And IMO they did it with limited resources. What I mean by this, (and you folks who marched Avant straighten me out on this) it seems to me, you pulled from the local area, and really didn't recruit across the country. So you had a nucleus of hard-working, talented kids from all the small towns in Upstate New York, who really made an impact on drum corps. Quite an accomplishment. And if I'm not mistaken some of those kids went on contributing to a number of corps after Avant. Tommy Newell is one who comes to mind, if I'm not mistaken he went on to work with Star???

And I agree you can't say enough about Jeff Perkins, a great guy, did a hell of a job.

When the Emerald Knights and Spiegleairs first Merged, I was the one and only out of state member. I traveled from Pittsfield Mass to march with the Emerald Knights From Saratoga Springs NY. It stayed pretty much that way with some minor exceptions throughout the corps. History. And in my opinion a very fine group of kids, who I have always been proud to call friends. And you are correct Many of them went on to help many other corps. Tom did help out with Star as I recall and was a major part of their success in the precusion section.

Thanks for your kind words

Edited by BariBrian

Juice!

You are correct on this and the three directors were going to be one from Rochester and 2 from Saratoga Springs to maximize the efforts of getting kids.......worked well as we headed down the thruway, picking interested kids in marching!......heck of a drum and horn line with girls doing winter guard and hanging out at rehearsals waiting for guard to get fired up! Unfortunately I was told about the personality conflicts and lack of funding too late to do anything (if possible) about it and I believe Jeff perkins was still withj the corps.......might be wrong......not sure.

I do remember the presented Piano Concerto #9 like no ot her corps and smoked the drum solo! Great corps and probably could have been the next DCI open class finalist behind Auburn Purple Lancers!

You are correct on this and the three directors were going to be one from Rochester and 2 from Saratoga Springs to maximize the efforts of getting kids.......worked well as we headed down the thruway, picking interested kids in marching!......heck of a drum and horn line with girls doing winter guard and hanging out at rehearsals waiting for guard to get fired up! Unfortunately I was told about the personality conflicts and lack of funding too late to do anything (if possible) about it and I believe Jeff perkins was still withj the corps.......might be wrong......not sure.

I do remember the presented Piano Concerto #9 like no ot her corps and smoked the drum solo! Great corps and probably could have been the next DCI open class finalist behind Auburn Purple Lancers!

Thanks for the info. I wish that had all happened. It would have been great to see them in the finals. We all worked so hard as do all the corps. What you're telling me is a shame if they only needed a lttle good old fashioned management to get what might have been the best season ever. I have never heard this part of the story before, though I live amoung many Including Jeff who is still a very close friend. Then again, many that I am still in contact with, may have been out long before this happened. Heartbreaking

Edited by BariBrian