Rochester Drum Corps

Gary, I don't know who this other guy/gal is however as an outsider of the Rochester area at that time...I can certainly understand his point of view. I don't think he or she meant it in a offensive way, just how he saw what was going on. I wouldn't have used his words BUT I do agree with the idea of what he was saying. I saw, as an outsider, a corps jumping from corps to corps and in the end all those corps disappeared, EXCEPT Patriots. John Nolan, Dick Hoppe and Tom Peashey did an amazing job at bringing that corps back from that merger and building a successful organization. I was working with Blazers in the winter of '82, left for a few months and when I came back it was the Renegades. The corps could have been successful but there were egos at the top and some people has other ideas. There were three factions by the end of the year.....The start of a new senior corps, Garfield Cadet recruiter and the Blazers group who were changing their name to Royal Legacy. This was a corps that had a financial backer but after losing alot of members had no chance.

I actually forgot who went to whom and formed what! 1982 was Fusion and Northmen was what two corps? Renegades were Lockport Blazers/Mighty Liberators and some kids from Greece correct?

Gary, I don't know who this other guy/gal is however as an outsider of the Rochester area at that time...I can certainly understand his point of view. I don't think he or she meant it in a offensive way, just how he saw what was going on. I wouldn't have used his words BUT I do agree with the idea of what he was saying. I saw, as an outsider, a corps jumping from corps to corps and in the end all those corps disappeared, EXCEPT Patriots. John Nolan, Dick Hoppe and Tom Peashey did an amazing job at bringing that corps back from that merger and building a successful organization. I was working with Blazers in the winter of '82, left for a few months and when I came back it was the Renegades. The corps could have been successful but there were egos at the top and some people has other ideas. There were three factions by the end of the year.....The start of a new senior corps, Garfield Cadet recruiter and the Blazers group who were changing their name to Royal Legacy. This was a corps that had a financial backer but after losing alot of members had no chance.

I actually forgot who went to whom and formed what! 1982 was Fusion and Northmen was what two corps? Renegades were Lockport Blazers/Mighty Liberators and some kids from Greece correct?

Northmen were a creation of the Firebirds and the Cadets of Greece. I sat at that time on the board of Directors in 1984 of the Shoreliners drum corps inc., which was the identity of what Greece was built on. The 1980-83 were a blur of people who attempted to keep junior drum corps alive in the western NY area and trying to form a foundation for the future. I don't think its necessary to name names nor do I think outside (or inside) peoples opinions count much when they don't know the truth! That is irritating. However, it is what it is!

Fusion was a good attempt but financial strife worked against them, as well as too many egos in my humbled opinion and as I have mentioned before, I was also an outsider at the time from 1980 - 1983. John Nolan had alot to do with the rise of the Patriots but it turned into a battle after he passed and his daughter did no justice to his legacy, in MHO again.

I just think that outside opinion during the Northmen years did its harm as well but at the time their were 2 junior corps operating (Northmen and Patriots) and performed very well for the talent level provided as mentioned in my previous post. I am not as angry as you think, because I know the truth and the facts involved that makes me wonder sometimes about peoples opinions, but then I think about the old proverb,"Opinions are like xxxxxxxx and everyone has one, except they usually stink!"

Take care and have fun in sunny but cold Florida! :biggrin: