Pearl Drums

Blake13

So this past season in DCI, I saw a couple corps using Pearl Drums, and what appeared to be just the normal FFX drums. However, to compliment the look of the drums, they had the carbonply logo on them. Was this what happened and does anyone know if you could custom order a drum like this? Thanks

That was the other thought I had. I forgot the inner ply was also carbon. oops.

Those drums without the outer ply of carbon are also made from maple, instead of african mahogany like the regular carbon-plys. The only DCI lines to have used the regular carbon-plys are SCV and PR 2005, and BK 2008. Most people never liked the sound of the mahogany, and they were MUCH heavier than the maple drums.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

The inner carbon ply drums are not a special order item. You can order the FFX maple drums in any of the available custom lacquer finishes offered by pearl for the Championship series...however, the carbon ply is only offered in carbon fiber. I own 2 of the custom inner carbon ply drums (2007 Phantom Regiment in Marine Fade, 2008 Blue Stars in Brushed Silver) and 2 of the custom maple drums (2008 SCV in Antique Gold, 2009 MCM Black Sparkle). All of the drums have the special order chrome hardware. The only way I know that you can get a custom inner carbon ply drum is to either be a pearl sponsored Drum Corps or WGI unit, or buy a used one at the end of the season from a Corps or WGI unit.

The inner carbon ply drums are not a special order item. You can order the FFX maple drums in any of the available custom lacquer finishes offered by pearl for the Championship series...however, the carbon ply is only offered in carbon fiber. I own 2 of the custom inner carbon ply drums (2007 Phantom Regiment in Marine Fade, 2008 Blue Stars in Brushed Silver) and 2 of the custom maple drums (2008 SCV in Antique Gold, 2009 MCM Black Sparkle). All of the drums have the special order chrome hardware. The only way I know that you can get a custom inner carbon ply drum is to either be a pearl sponsored Drum Corps or WGI unit, or buy a used one at the end of the season from a Corps or WGI unit.

Im sure there is a way to convince those at the factory to make a special order, however you would have to be willing to pay top dollar.

Interesting that with all the experimentation with carbon fiber, mahogany, maple combinations they still haven't come up with drums that sound better than the custom maple lines yamaha provides the DCI world class corps.

Interesting that with all the experimentation with carbon fiber, mahogany, maple combinations they still haven't come up with drums that sound better than the custom maple lines yamaha provides the DCI world class corps.

"SFZFAN" likes Yamaha drums? Really?! You don't say... ;)

I'm a little partial to Pearl's maple drums myself, with or without the carbon fiber.

"SFZFAN" likes Yamaha drums? Really?! You don't say... ;)

I'm a little partial to Pearl's maple drums myself, with or without the carbon fiber.

Yes, but it's only because they manufacture the very best quality marching percussion on the planet. :tongue:

Are you talking about the Yamaha drums that are built to Pearl specs? Maple shells, Pearl cuts on the bearing edge. The only thing that's all Yamaha on them is the hardware. Everything else is built to Pearl specs.