Rifling the bore mouthpiece

Jimisback

Rifling is cut into a gun barrel to impart a spin on the bullet. This spin prevents the projectile from tumbling in flight.

The physics of a standing wave in an air column is a whole different ballgame.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain Standing wave. I assume it is undisturbed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave

A standing wave, also known as a stationary wave, is a wave that remains in a constant position. This phenomenon can occur because the medium is moving in the opposite direction to the wave, or it can arise in a stationary medium as a result of interference between two waves traveling in opposite directions. In the second case, for waves of equal amplitude traveling in opposing directions, there is on average no net propagation of energy.

Standing waves in resonators are one cause of the phenomenon called resonance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just to add to the discussion of different backbores, has anyone played on an Xstream mouthpiece?

Take a look at the picture on the link above. It has a "power chamber" right after the throat.

Looks problematic. The quick open after the cup could help slotting. The tight second throat could help with resistence to keep the high end available. It sure seems to have a lot of mass to it, to compensate for something. The resistence factor will likely render it non-applicable in a lot of drumcorps circles. I'm not a fan of the perfect V backbore, with or without power chamber.

I'm not sure I am on the same page with all these gizmos. unless I hear someone playing these things and it makes an appreciable difference in the quality of the playing, I'd just as soon think it would be better to save the $$ and do it the old fashioned way.

might be good, just don't know....

Just to add to the discussion of different backbores, has anyone played on an Xstream mouthpiece?

Take a look at the picture on the link above. It has a "power chamber" right after the throat.

I'm curious how the heck they bore that shape into it; unless it's 2 parts that get joined, I don't see how they could get the larger diameter bored past the narrower one...maybe an expandable bit that opens past the throat? Any machinists out there that could offer enlightenment? Possibly cast as opposed to machined?

A good candidate for the Precision Machinists' Hall Of Fame. If they're offering free T-shirts, I'll have one.

I'm curious how the heck they bore that shape into it; unless it's 2 parts that get joined, I don't see how they could get the larger diameter bored past the narrower one...maybe an expandable bit that opens past the throat? Any machinists out there that could offer enlightenment? Possibly cast as opposed to machined?

Looking at the Warburton compatible shank,

warburton.jpg

I am thinking it is a 2 piece design, looks like there is a seam, then soldered together.

Then their 2 piece looks like the top part was made as 2 pieces then soldered together:

2piecetrumpetmouthpiecepicture.jpg