Brass Solder

Brad T.

After some careful electrical taping, it appears that I have two leaks: one around the water key nipple, and one past the water key where the leadpipe goes into the larger diameter pipe for the tuning slide. This horn is an Olds Ultratone, so I doubt the horn originally had any factory defects, however, judging by the plating scars and discolorations, my solder job was nowhere near the first one done to this horn. My biggest problem thus far is trying to get the solder to flow into the tiny tiny space between the leadpipe and tuning slide outer pipe to fill in that leak. Oh well, black electrical tape does wonders.

Where are you located?

• 1 year later...

Well, silver solder may be preffered. Just clean the surface to be soldered. Use a brush to remove abrasive soldering from braces and trumpet. Do not damage the finish if the instrument is plated or lacquered. Also, avoid treatment beyond the old solder, which could cause the metal to be removed from the instrument.

Metal Stencils

Edited by maxxypane