During the winter of 2010 I hadmade plans to volunteer for about 2 weeks in late June with one of the Top 5 corps of DCI. I had made phone calls, talked with key people, and exchanged e-mails. Things were moving along nicely and I was getting ready for a great drum corps experience as a corps volunteer. I was really looking forward to spending a portion of my summer with the kids in the corps! I was just about to send in my volunteer application and make it all official when I heard about the G-7 proposal.

After some very painful soul-searching, I have decided NOT to volunteer with any of the corps in the G-7 group in 2010. I called the volunteer coordinator for the corps and voiced my concerns and disappointment over the corps involvement in the G-7 power-play. I then informed the coordinator of my decision not to volunteer with the corps in 2010.

Please understand, I love the corps and I think the kids that march in that corps are awesome. However, I cannot actively give my support to a corps that is undermining the foundation and the brotherhood of Drum Corps as a whole. DCI needs to change, but such change needs to take place by way of the democratic process. All of drum corps needs to be represented on a equal level so that the change that takes place will truly benefit all of drum corps, not just an elite few corps.

I am sending a message to the corps I was willing to sweat and sacrifice for, along with the rest of the G-7. I will not support the drum corps that put themselves above the majority. Drum Corps must be for all of the people who love it, not just a few wh seek to benefit by it. The benefits of Drum Corps must be shared by all those who work and suffer for it. The responsibility of leadership within Drum Corps must be in the hands of those who have shown themselves capable and worthy to work for the betterment of the majority of corps, not just a select few.

Ron Gunn

Good job! :tongue: