Uniform Alterations/maintainance

I'm just curious...how often do your uniforms get altered during the season, and who does it? How detailed are the alterations/ Do they travel with the corps? Do you have machines on board, etc? Also, how do you handle marking each uniform for each member so there are no mix-ups?

I can tell you that the Glassmen have one of the most amazing volunteers with them almost all summer who takes care of their uniform alterations and she keeps them TIGHT. And as far as marking them, every uniform has a number in it. You keep track of and always know your uniform number.

Not sure how it's handled on tour all the time, but I know there's a volunteer who does alterations for Troopers from time to time. I'm pretty sure they have their own alterations equipment that travels with the corps.

My experience with two corps is that they have a sewing machine with them on tour, and volunteers adjust the unis as needed. One year, a corps' machine needed repair, and I took their seamstress and the machine to a repair shop when the corps was in our area. Adjustments must be made periodically to account for the weight loss; otherwise, the unis would hang on the members by the end of tour because of members' weight loss issues through the season.

SIDE NOTE: One way YOU (anyone) can volunteer with a corps is to make yourself available when a corps is in your area. Besides the sewing machine problem, I have helped corps by taking the cook to the local grocery/food warehouse to stock-up, donated fresh fruit that is in season in our area, and taken a corps member to a nearby urgent care facility for treatment.