Starting a drum corps in DCA

Ok, maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm not. I'm not quite sure yet. However, I've had this idea in my head for, well, since I was a freshman here at Alabama and going into my 5th year (victory lap) I feel like I want to give it a shot. I feel like Tuscaloosa is an untapped resource for this for a few reasons:

1. We have a good drum corps following with a lot of members of the Million Dollar Band, including myself, marching or having marched or working on the staff at a drum corps (from Phantom Regiment and the Cavaliers to Music City Drum Corps).

2. I know for a fact a lot of those people, myself included, who are too old to participate in DCI now still have the itch to march.

3. A big reason a lot of good MDB (and high school) members don't march DCI is because of the summer schedule. A few have said the weekend-style of DCA sounds like a good idea.

4. The music community in Tuscaloosa, between the high schools, university, and community in general, is a large and close-knit group.

5. Geographically we're just far enough away from Georgia and Tennessee and Florida to make this work, in my opinion.

Like I said, maybe I'm totally bonkers, maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. I've never taken on a project of this magnitude, not even close. I have some event planning experience, some general business know how, and a good bit of advertising knowledge thanks to being a graphic design major. However, I do know this is something that (a) takes patience, (b) takes people, © takes effort, and (d) takes MONEY. But I'm serious about giving this a shot. I'm a fast learner, I don't like to give up and quit, and I feel motivated because I really think this could succeed. I'd appreciate any information, tips, opinions, whatever even if it's simply, “You're an idiot. Quit.” Thanks guys for listening and for any help y'all can give me.

-Aaron

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 form an exploratory committee and invite all of the band directors within 100 miles. So... that would include Birmingham, which would be a huge resource (money and talent)

#2 Get a name - such as - The Million Dollar Drum & Bugle Corps :rolleyes:

#3 Get an Identity

#4 Find MONEY :rolleyes:

Edited by NashvillePat

#1 form an exploratory committee and invite all of the band directors within 100 miles. So... that would include Birmingham, which would be a huge resource (money and talent)

#2 Get a name - such as - The Million Dollar Drum & Bugle Corps :rolleyes:

#3 Get an Identity

#4 Find MONEY :rolleyes:

1. Are there any particular kind of people I should get to help me other than just more interested friends? :rolleyes: And should I canvas more than just high schools/colleges and band/music stores? I can't really think of another place to look...

2. Working on it. :tongue:

3. See 2

4. I have PayPal if you're interested. :thumbup:

1. Are there any particular kind of people I should get to help me other than just more interested friends? :rolleyes: And should I canvas more than just high schools/colleges and band/music stores? I can't really think of another place to look...

2. Working on it. :rolleyes:

3. See 2

4. I have PayPal if you're interested. :rolleyes:

LOL... you also need to get 501c3 non-profit status.... so people can make tax deductible donations and so your organization can get some form of gaming (BINGO) to fund the corps. You will definitely need a lawyer or two, but there are lots of those around the drum corps world. :thumbup: It also would help you immensely to get a marketing strategy together.

Edited by NashvillePat

LOL... you also need to get 501c3 non-profit status.... so people can make tax deductible donations and so your organization can get some form of gaming (BINGO) to fund the corps. You will definitely need a lawyer or two, but there are lots of those around the drum corps world. :rolleyes: It also would help you immensely to get a marketing strategy together.

I've read about the 501c3 process before but I'll definitely need a lawyer to help me with that side of things.

I've read about the 501c3 process before but I'll definitely need a lawyer to help me with that side of things.

surely there are some drum corps nut lawyers between B'ham and Tuscaloosa... I say form the exploratory committee and plan a meeting... That's the best bet... and see if you can get some free advertising in the local rags for it and saturate the internet and any Alabama Chat Rooms and band/drum corps sites. :rolleyes:

surely there are some drum corps nut lawyers between B'ham and Tuscaloosa... I say form the exploratory committee and plan a meeting... That's the best bet... and see if you can get some free advertising in the local rags for it and saturate the internet and any Alabama Chat Rooms and band/drum corps sites. :rolleyes:

Chat rooms? In Alabama? You mean on that fancy world wide interwebs thang? Shoot, y'all. :rolleyes:

Chat rooms? In Alabama? You mean on that fancy world wide interwebs thang? Shoot, y'all. :rolleyes:

Heck! My grandmamma has that interwebs thang and she lives up there in Cedar Bluff, Alabama on beautimous Weiss Lake in Cherokee County and she is 98. and I got it too and I just live up the road a piece in Music City... you know where they make that country music and stuff. :rolleyes:

Edited by NashvillePat

My grandmamma has that interwebs thang and she lives in Cedar Bluff, Alabama on beautiful Weiss Lake in Cherokee County and she is 98. Hell I just live up the road a piece in Music City... you know where they make that country music and stuff. :rolleyes:

You crazy city folk and your BBQ. :rolleyes:

you know it... .we're crazier than all get out .. up here in the big city that is~ :rolleyes: