Attention Tuba Players

G-horns

Here's the deal...

My nephew plays tuba at his middle school and his Mom asked me to suggest a tuba method book. He's been through the "Accent on Achievement" book 1 and I think he needs a book that is tuba specific, similar to "My First Arban" for trumpet. I considered using Arban, but I would like to see him reading in bass clef instead of jumping back and forth. He's a hard worker, started on trumpet and when he got braces decided to try tuba. Made all region after playing for barely six months. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rubank's Advanced Method for Eb or BBb Bass. This was one of the first books I started in when I started private lessons on tuba in high school. I also picked up the Accent on Achievement Books 2 and 3. One of the two is a waste unless the school band uses it. It's almost entirely ensemble playing. I just don't remember which one is the better of the two off the top of my head. Depending on his age, you may also start looking into the Brass Gym, the Kopprasch studies, and the almost ubiquitous Bordogni Bel Canto studies. Everything except Brass Gym is written and designed around BBb and Eb tuba. The Brass Gym is written with 5 valve CC tuba in mind. Obviously all of the books are very helpful, but depending on the key of the horn, may be a little more challenging than they are supposed to be. Another good book for a BBb horn with 4 valves or a CC tuba, is the Snedecor Low Etudes for Tuba. It's pretty much an exercise that requires a Seismograph for tuning, but still a good one!

As an aside, most etude books are fairly useless for GG bugle. The fingerings for some of the etudes are a little bit cumbersome! That, and somehow, after playing BBb and CC tubas in bass clef for years and years, I can't seem to grasp bass clef on a GG bugle. I gotta read transposed treble clef! Go figure!

I was a late convert to tuba, playing horn for 10 years before switching, but I agree with Brad with everything (I LOVE then Snedecor book) The one thing I would add that would still keep him reading bass clef, but just messing with octaves is "Melodious Etudes for Trombone" by Johannes Rochut. Much if it is less technical than Kopprasch, and is a great book for tone quality and phrasing.

Bass Clef in GG Bugle can be one of 2 ways, if the arranger transposed a BC part as if he would transpose the difference between baritone TC and BC, then your read it as if you are playing a BBb tuba (i.e. C on TC would be Bb on BC)

If the is no transposition and the exact notes are just converted into bass clef then you read as if you are playing a CC tuba (C on TC would be C on BC)

maybe that may clear some confusion (I am a former horn player so I have all sorts of transpositions in my head)

Rubank's Advanced Method for Eb or BBb Bass. This was one of the first books I started in when I started private lessons on tuba in high school. I also picked up the Accent on Achievement Books 2 and 3. One of the two is a waste unless the school band uses it. It's almost entirely ensemble playing. I just don't remember which one is the better of the two off the top of my head. Depending on his age, you may also start looking into the Brass Gym, the Kopprasch studies, and the almost ubiquitous Bordogni Bel Canto studies. Everything except Brass Gym is written and designed around BBb and Eb tuba. The Brass Gym is written with 5 valve CC tuba in mind. Obviously all of the books are very helpful, but depending on the key of the horn, may be a little more challenging than they are supposed to be. Another good book for a BBb horn with 4 valves or a CC tuba, is the Snedecor Low Etudes for Tuba. It's pretty much an exercise that requires a Seismograph for tuning, but still a good one!

All good recommendations. Rubank Intermediate going into Advanced is good depending on his age and experience. There are tuba Arbans out there, but they vary a lot. There's one that contains almost everything if not all of what's in the original Arbans, but many are also heavily edited. That might not be so bad, though; the Arban-Prescott is heavily edited but what it has is very useful. Or, you could save yourself thirty bucks and buy a trumpet Arban and he can learn treble clef.

As an aside, most etude books are fairly useless for GG bugle. The fingerings for some of the etudes are a little bit cumbersome! That, and somehow, after playing BBb and CC tubas in bass clef for years and years, I can't seem to grasp bass clef on a GG bugle. I gotta read transposed treble clef! Go figure!

Well, the best way to do it is to just read it as though you're playing your normal horn, not try to do any weird fingerings. When I played solos or etudes while I was on tour, I just read them with BBb tuba fingerings. The lower pitch on the G horn made it like running with weights on but it was a good exercise.

I'll probably suggest Rubank Intermediate and/or Advanced. He's playing band music at a medium-easy level at school and usually can slam-dunk it at first read. To be a complete musician he really should focus on technique and some solo literature.

Thanks for the help. I'll check back for additional input.

• 4 weeks later...
Depending on his age, you may also start looking into ... the almost ubiquitous Bordogni Bel Canto studies.
The one thing I would add that would still keep him reading bass clef, but just messing with octaves is "Melodious Etudes for Trombone" by Johannes Rochut.

Both of these books are exactly the same source music. For any serious tuba player, I recommend the Rochut. The Bordogni (edited by Chester Roberts) has some different keys and is differently numbered which is really only a problem for someone practicing with SmartMusic. It is written in the tuba range (as previously mentioned, Rochut is written for trombone an octave higher), but almost all of the phrases are shortened or some other change to make them less fluid. Also the Rochut gives the advantage of getting familiar with reading up the octave which opens up a wider variety of music for the advancing player. When I was in college, everyone had the Rochut and discussing exercises is much easier if you're reading out of the same book.

Also recommended for upper high school:

40 Advanced Studies for Bb Bass - H.W. Tyrell

70 Studies for BB flat Tuba (in 2 volumes) - Vladislav Blazhevich

Edited by bhs alumni

Blazhevich was the book I couldnt think of when responding earlier......I have been playing so much bass bone, that my tuba is going to waste. (but at least I am making money)

but anyways....LOVE the Blazhevich book

Don't forget some sort of hymnal or fakebook so they have a lot of new content to run through to work on sight reading. And maybe get to play a melody or two which they might not otherwise ever see on Tuba. A duets book is fun too if they have a buddy. Or recording equipment. Not that I have specific examples for Tuba. The Rochut books are good for trombone, but they can border a bit on the advanced side since they explore a rather large range, and a good portion of the upper range for trombone. Compared to what you'd typically see in concert band anyway.