I am a Freshman at Richland HS in Texas and I have become very interested in the DCI world. I hope to one day be in the Blue Devils Front Ensemble!

I have just a few questions to ask:

First of all, I know that Blue Devils is usually on top in DCI but what are the rankings after that?

And which Corp is usually the cheapest to go on tour with?

Are most audition camps in the same week? So like, if I don't get called back for one of the camps would I be able to attend another Corp's camp?

I would like to meet many people who are either in DCI or going into DCI or are alumnis or DCI.

Can someone tell me about the experience while you were in DCI?

I'm very interested and is very willing to learn about ANYTHING related to DCI!

• 4 months later...

I am a Freshman at Richland HS in Texas and I have become very interested in the DCI world. I hope to one day be in the Blue Devils Front Ensemble!

I have just a few questions to ask:

First of all, I know that Blue Devils is usually on top in DCI but what are the rankings after that?

And which Corp is usually the cheapest to go on tour with?

Are most audition camps in the same week? So like, if I don't get called back for one of the camps would I be able to attend another Corp's camp?

I would like to meet many people who are either in DCI or going into DCI or are alumnis or DCI.

Can someone tell me about the experience while you were in DCI?

I'm very interested and is very willing to learn about ANYTHING related to DCI!

Howdy, fellow Texan. You can find a wealth of information about your questions on DCI's website. (www.dci.org) Historical placements are available at another very useful site called corpsreps.com.

Generally speaking about expenses, it's a matter of several factors: dues/tuition are one thing, but there's also camp costs (camp fees, audition fee, travel expenses, purchase of sheet music if applicable). Some corps are more forgiving than others about camp attendance once you are offered a contract to march.

Auditions are varied and yes you can attend more than one audition, but not usually on the same weekend (from what I have seen). At this point in the audition process many who audition are given a callback. The corps who are auditioning hundreds of applicants might ask 40 people back for 10 spots, for example. This can happen for a couple of camps before you know your status. So factor that into your finances and interest in particular corps. If your money is seriously limited, going to a corps that might not offer you a spot at all after 3 call backs is a pretty big gamble of monetary resources. That's likely $1000 worth of dues money that was spent on airfare alone. On the other hand, going to those camps are highly educational, so you just have to weigh your pros and cons carefully.

A lot of corps hold audition camps in Texas, so you might look around next season to see who is doing that. You've got a few corps in Texas you can look at, first of all. Then you've got Troopers, Bluecoats and Cavies auditioning here every November and/or December. (there may be others, that's just the ones I know about)

If you want to march in 2010, go for it! If you have friends marching, ask them about the camps and see if there are spots. Use your connections - they are often the best way to get your foot in the door. Also, you've got open class, world class and all-age opportunities at your fingertips in your own state. You might as well check them out along with any other corps your friends are with.

Lastly, you asked about peoples' experience in corps. I can sum it up fairly easily: drum corps, and the Troopers, changed my life forever, and for good. The older I get, the more I understand about what I learned as a member (and instructor). It is my strong desire that young men and women like yourself take the opportunity to march somewhere - anywhere! - in a drum corps.

I hope that helps.