Quick Thoughts on Saturday Night Live-Allentown

The weather perfect! Parking was fairly easy! The Holy Grail of Drum Corps.

The negatives - i always seem to sit next to a giant economy size person.

Also I tried to make a bathroom run before Crossmen and missed re-entering by a DM salute - right behind the haqndicapped seating they blocked out 10 feet of walkway with cones - garbage cans and crime scene tape ( i guess they suspected a terrorist attack from a lemon ice vendor cart ) and then the orange clothed event security ordered myself and 20 others to move back against the upper deck wall - hence no view ( luckily for me the lemon ice cart had lemon ice ).

The Fans are the best in Drum Corps ( except the grandma behind me who kept asking why do you make me come here every year! )

Kudos to said crowd for giving the Madison Scouts DM's an extended standing ovation at retreat ( positive tone displeasure )

Mandarins - I like them alot - headed in right direction ( imho ) ESPECIALLY LOVE THE UNIFORMS.

Teal Sound - Wow was i presently surprised ( this 61 year old ex contra bass was less offended by guitars than by later miked soloist in another corps. - headed in right direction ( IMHO )

Jersey Surf - I am from Joisey - confused by look of corps and content of program - talented players - marking time - ( IMHO ) - programming and identity neede some clarification

Pacific Crest - i like them - speedometer forging ahead slowly ( IMHO ) - can go bigtime - excellent talent.

Crossmen - sounded good - i could see Bones on backfield while arguing with the Orange Shirt Brigade.

Blue Knights - I now love this corps - great talent - great program - just so many good corps to contend with.

Intermission - lines at stands and restrooms over 200 deep!

Madison Scouts - THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU :ph34r:

I never thought i would see and hear a tuba line the size of some corps - that plays lots of notes and sounds great!

Madison is back and in a Big Way! Please keep at it - youse guys made my night!

Boston Crusaders - great horns - good program - defiantely Top 10 - i could do without the throne - solid all around

Santa Clara Vanguard - usually one of my 2 favorites - not tonight - great talent - excellent field coverage and visuals - program just lacks excitement ( IMHO ) ending is just WTF after last year's spectacular book ( IMHO )

Phantom Regiment - the other fav of mine and they did not disappoint- i guess Jupiter horns are for real - what a sound,

the running out at the end left the crowd applause rendering the flugel horn orange guy inaudible!! Some things never change - they were spanked down in GE visual ( margin from leaders - not placement ) Percussion is unreal!

The Cadets - I love this show although i doubt it will move up - little jeffrey is great but too distracting ( IMHO )

I loved the herald trumpets - loved the six quads feature - Guard unis looked fantastic - color contrast excellent ( IMHO )

in spite of the above - i loved the little jeffrey placards held up by guard - in other years this could win except that-

even I am now BLOOING - what a show - what a hornline - what a guard - i couldn't take my eyes of the snareline :lookaround: and brass plays with balance - tone - and FORTISSIMO! Deserved the win!

The world of alumni corps frequently feels let down by lack of crowd reaction - not tonight - the crowd gave them a standing O and ate them up Long Live Bananna Power!

The incredible sight of the evening was the large size Hawiian shaved ice - it's the size of a bowling ball! ( BRAINFREEZE )

A Saturday Night Live for the ages ( and aged like me ) :lookaround:

Edited by fecontra