So many Tubas

I saw many tubas on the field last night but didn't hear a giant low brass sound. Scouts had 20 and most others had between 12 and 15 so why did I hear sinths all night?

Were you watching live or in the theater?

Don't mistake the sound in the theater as being represenative of what sounds the corps actually produced live. You never know where the mics were and what they were picking up. The microphones might have been ten feet from the speakers the synths were hooked up to.

Because the tuba sound is getting soaked up in the Oil can.

Exactly. Bass drums suffer too - any time a low voice isn't staged in front of the hash, they are pretty much inaudible. You can definitely hear the electronics though - the low synth parts completely buried everything else in that register. Hope they get the balance better today.

I don't understand why every corps needs that pad bass sound. Drum corps sounded good without it, and it certainly made the quarterfinals broadcast very distracting.

Were you watching live or in the theater?

Don't mistake the sound in the theater as being represenative of what sounds the corps actually produced live. You never know where the mics were and what they were picking up. The microphones might have been ten feet from the speakers the synths were hooked up to.

Agreed!!! as one who observed from row 20 at Lucas Oil....The synth bass was a poor substitute for just writing the same part in the Contras...

Same goes for the sound of the amplified brass...(loved bloooo.....hated that they did this) just face the stands and play!! it just sounds better!!!