Amplified Solos

What do you think of amplified solos?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against amplified solos?

• For
    • Against

As is with most things related to electronics, I do not mind Bluecoats use of the mic'd solos. In their "futuristic" type show it fits the theme well, and more importantly they honestly don't even use them for 'amplification' purposes. If anything they are just adding color to the tone of the solos.

Cavaliers on the other hand, seem to be using the amps as an excuse not to over/underblow....even though it's a screaming solo. This I do not understand.

Not to pick on Blue, and understanding your point about "futuristic," I did not like that amplified solo at all. And if the "color" needs to change, then use a different instrument, mute, better on field dynamics, or tone down the pit. They have a nice show, but, I think the mic detracted from the show.

OP, I am against it. The only reason a corps would need to amp a soloist is because all of the other amplified instruments are too loud even at pianissimo. If a pit can't play soft enough through amps without distorting the sound quality .. then put the mixer board to Level ZERO! It was pretty apparent that some corps were doing just that this year ... dialing it down to zero where needed.

Coats, SCV, BD are at the top of the list of Offenders when it comes to pit volume. It has changed the entire dynamic range of drum corps from Loud to Nuclear. There is no longer pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff ......... it doesn't go any lower than mf at best for their hornlines. Cavies use the least amount of amping that I've experienced this year .. which allows their hornline to still play safe, controlled and even pianissimo at times ... and I'm glad that Adolph is back .. the boys are pushing air again and hitting FF very well.

As I said in the Semi's thread, "Cavies are the model of how amp levels should be set in a drum corps how". If we're stuck with using them .. this should be the standard.

have to agree here at least with the minimal comments. I have not seen Cavies enough to comment, but even as a die hard BD fan, I think that the pit often is over amplified.

I'm ok with it because sometimes you want a certain kind of timbre to stay true to the music. If you increase volume and air in order to be heard, then that changes the timbre. I don't think it has much to do with not being able to play over the rest of the ensemble. If you play mF into a good quality mic with good connections, then you will get the characteristics of a mezzo forte sound that will still be heard above the ensemble without strain.

The Bluecoats amped brass I am fine with since it is being used to alter the sound (although in LOS I'm not sure the reverb on the horn solo could be heard much with all the other reverb happening in the dome).

I see why they amped the Cavies tpt. trio, because they really wanted them to project over the rest of the corps..... but it makes the trumpets sound so bright and thin. If they stepped back a little from the mics, we would get a better blend of amped and acoustic sound.

The Blue Devils amped soloist (this is only at the end when one tpt. solos during the final huge build up) is actually pretty necessary for that situation. Even with the extra amplification, you could barely hear him over the rest of the brass (I think this is how they intended it to sound). If the mic wasn't there, you might not hear him at all because the rest of the corps is playing THAT loud. Also, this soloist plays with his bell about 7-8 feet behind the mic, so the natural sound is maintained much better than in the Cavies' case.