Senior/All Age Field Show Performances

My faulty memory says...

One or two rehearsals a month September through December, 5 to 6 hours each. First, we were rehearsing for our appearances at high school band shows, then trying out new repertoire and finally preparing for the Christmas parade that ultimately got canceled by the town.

Every other week January through May, with a little juggling to get around conflicts; six hours each, I believe. We did a stand-still at a preview show for our VFW sponsors sometime in May. This year we added a block of M & M fundamentals to our rehearsals. It really helped when we went to the field.

May 'til now it has been every Sunday, 6 to 8 hours on the field. We did four DCI shows, and are delighted to be headed to DCA.

Robert

How were those Sunday Rehearsals working for you guys? We try to stay away from Sunday to give members their God and Family time.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How were those Sunday Rehearsals working for you guys? We try to stay away from Sunday to give members their God and Family time.

For the three years I've been in the corps, that's when we've rehearsed. The impression I have is that's been the corps practice day for years. Interestingly, we've practiced in churches through the winters.

I don't know whether we would have better results if, for example, we went through the winter having a weekend-long camp once a month instead of two half-day rehearsals. I imagine it's difficult as a corps director to balance the varying needs of high schoolers, college students and recent graduates, adults with young families and those established in their jobs. And then there are goobers like me who have no set schedule. Best wishes to y'all!

Robert

We, Empire, performed I believe 14 times in uniform.

Counting all of the competitions, this weekend DCA and the 4 performances at Paetec and Medina for the community.

For the three years I've been in the corps, that's when we've rehearsed. The impression I have is that's been the corps practice day for years. Interestingly, we've practiced in churches through the winters.

I don't know whether we would have better results if, for example, we went through the winter having a weekend-long camp once a month instead of two half-day rehearsals. I imagine it's difficult as a corps director to balance the varying needs of high schoolers, college students and recent graduates, adults with young families and those established in their jobs. And then there are goobers like me who have no set schedule. Best wishes to y'all!

Robert

Thanks,

The Commanders of Tulsa, OK have their rehearsals on Sunday afternoon and it seems to be working for them.

We were just once a month on Saturday for a long time before adding 2 Wednesday nights per month. We were using Saturday because we used to have 1/2 the Corps from outside the Metro and Weeknight rehearsals just wouldn't have any attendence. We are a lot more local to the Metro now so we decided to add some time during the week. Oh, Sundays weren't considered for us in consideration to the out of town crowd.

We'll need to have a couple of those weekend long Camps to learn Drill most likley in July. Membership just doesn't stay the same each quarter so if we started learning Drill in April May or June, it's possible to have an entirley different group of people who would have to learn drill anyway.

We will be working out the bugs in the Music and fundraising for most of the year and then hit the Gas in July for August Activities.

Just guessing but we will probably perform our field Show 4 times. Once for Friends and Family in July, Once at the Local DCI show, which DCI will allow one exhibition by a non affiliated Corps per year and Twice in Minnesota if everything goes right with DCA affiliation. We'll probably hit I&E at Rochester 2011.

If everything just goes gangbusters we'll consider the big dance.