I&E results?

I just got back from Rochester, and since I haven't seen any mini-corps reviews, I'll give you my impressions from memory. Don't consider this to be a valid review, just some of my thoughts and opinions.

It was a large and enthusiastic crowd, and I am pleasantly surprised that they didn't charge anything for admission. DCA sold pins for $2.00 and asked for support from the audience, but I don't know if anyone would complain if buying a $2.00 pin would have been mandatory for admission. The show was certainly worth more than that.

The Springfield Marksmen made quite an impression on me. Two years ago, I thought one of the oldest alumni corps was dead. Never heard much about them and I am usually up on Alumni Corps news, especially in Massachusetts. Saw them earlier this year in a parade in Braintree, and they looked like they were hurting. At this show, they showed talent and poise, presenting a program of "serious" music- about a battle between French and English forces. I prefer mini-corps not to takes themselves too seriously and do more fun stuff. Their signature song of "I Believe" brought back many fond memories.

Sine Wave of Chicago was my biggest surprise and my most entertaining corps of the evening. Of course when I find a corps to be the most entertaining, that's a kiss of death placement wise. They played the music from Jersey Boys and the audience loved it. A most sincere and well deserved standing ovation. "Walk Like a Man", "Sherry..." had us all in the palm of their hands. I wish more corps would do stuff like that. I couldn't believe they finished seventh or eigth.

Freelancers- My second favorite corps in terms of entertainment value. Of course, again, that's a personal choice, like ice cream flavors. Big jazzy sound- reminded me of a Maynard Ferguson concert. Boy, do I wish I could play like their lead trumpet/director.

Vigilantes- Their schtick had a vamp of a drum major seducing the various members of this talented ensemble. My first response was to invite her back to party with my corps, but reality hit, and I remembered that this was just part of the act. CYO was never like this. The 2 snare drummers never stopped moving throughout the entire presentation, ala "Blast". A high energy and entertaining performance with very talented corps members. It looked like they had a great time with this show.

Skyliners- last year they were one of my pleasant surprises. I have always loved the Skyliner sound and their classic tunes. I've always been a Skyliner fan, even when I competed against them in in the 1960's. I must be frank and say that I was disappointed this year. They didn't sound like they were as prepared as they could have been, and slipped a notch from last year.

MinneBrass- Another light hearted entertaining approach. They did a T.V. thing, with a set with rabbit ears and familiar T.V. tunes of the past popping up. Clever and entertaining.

Golden Eagles- Frank Ponzo's screaming solos keeps the Latin oriented corps from Long Island constantly among the mini elites. Certainly consistent in terms of excellence.

Ghost Riders- Very clean and balanced in their "Casper" style show from "parts unknown". Showed that a corps can finish among the top without a lot of "screaming", though I do admit that I like the screaming. It's nice to have some variation. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing. Donny Allen looked like he really enjoyed directing this young group.

Mass Brass- Must tell you that I was rooting for this group. I have recently performed with almost every member of this corps with "Legends of Drum Corps" from Massachusetts, and I know they were disappointed in finishing so far out of first. They didn't dispute that Star United should have won, but they thought it should have been closer. I haven't looked at the sheets and don't really want to,but one member told me that 2 judges had them in third, and one had them in eigth. He couldn't understand the disparity, though it had no effect on the overall placement. Good solid performance in another Latin oriented show. Hot, searing solos, pulsing rhythms- well arranged quality show.

Star United- No one disputes Star becoming the only corps to win the mini title 5 straight years. The Erie Thunderbirds have won the title 6 times, but only 4 consecutively. Star can tie them overall with a sixth win next year. Technically excellent; well balanced, high level of difficulty, a superb sound- no weaknesses. Why did I like some of the other corps better? Just personal preference and my lack of musical sophistication. Shame on me, not on them. Should they change to something I like better? No! Unless they want to lose. Plus, one of the things that makes DCA special is different styles.

Overall- a great show, and one of DCA's great success stories.

Please check back in a day or two for a new topic discussing what I believe to be a necessary change to the I&E rules. That's all for now.

I have been advised by someone I respect very much to not post anything about this on DCP for a while. Sorry to if I caused anyone to tremble and shake.

Edited by G-horns