Baritone manufacturer question

Can anyone evaluate, from experience, a Bb baritone manufactured in China; Advanced Brass Instruments?

Here's what I found on EBay:

overview of chinese high and low brass instruments.

by: musicdoctrumpet( 11)

7 out of 7 people found this guide helpful.

Guide viewed: 566 times Tags: trumpets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am impressed by the overall quality and attention to detail that I find in these brasses(yes, I recently purchased 11 of them). They play in tune with both themselves and in the section. Even the high priced horns come out with a bad one now and then. If you can remember the Getzen Trumpet before the fabulous 900 series Severinson model came out, then you know how much a company can improve their manufacturing techniques. This is happening in China right now! Their instrumental knowhow is rapidly gaining in both their skill in building a decent horn at an affordible price, and in the way they market them on the internet. No! I don't think they are trying to convince a prospective buyer who is the parent of a schoolkid that a Selman is actually a Selmer. Even a new music parent is aware that there is a vast diferrence in price between a Selman straight Soprano( I bought the purple and gold one-looks cool and plays very well) and a Selmer Super Action 80 Straight Soprano, both in price and in superior playability. If you have the money,then by all means, go for the Selmer. They are very wonderful horns , as we all know. But if all you have to spend is in the$100 to$350 range ,then the Berkeleywind,Selman or Schill brands will fill the need extremely well. As I have stated,The instruments are made very well and you are getting WAY MORE for your dollar than you are spending. I am a band director for well over 25 years and have been performing on Bb,C,Eb/D Bb/A piccollo.Mini&Valve Trombone,Bb Cornet,Bb Flugelhorn and Bb Euphonium for close to 50 years . I am also a Licensed Brass Repair Technician and have been so for the last 39 years. I think I know what I'm talking about!!! Sincerely, Musicdoctrumpet

Guide ID: 10000000011143016Guide created: 03/13/09 (updated 07/13/10)

Can anyone evaluate, from experience, a Bb baritone manufactured in China; Advanced Brass Instruments?

Bob,

Many of the "name brand" horns are made in China now, with very high specs. They are starting to get good, especially in the low brass area.