Rookie audition question

Ultimately, it depends on your level of talent and willingness to put in the effort over the off season. Some corps, like the Bluecoats, have an ARSENAL of talent that comes through every year and they are blessed to be able to stack a hornline of 80 with many alternates. Some corps have less people audition and sacrifice a little bit of talent for work ethic and promise. Northern Kentucky does not leave you with many, many options long term, as the satellite audition camps will soon be ending and you will have to travel anyways. If you are looking for a place to get your foot in the door and march for the sake of marching, I would, as would many on this website, shooting pioneer an e-mail or calling a place like Jersey Surf. Both organizations will take horn players up until the last minute and are a great way to learn about the activity without having the competitiveness of the upper echelon corps. Going to a corps like Teal Sound means committing to an identity, which is not a problem if you gel with it. Specifically, Teal Sound is heading the rock and electronics direction more so than any other corps, so you would have to be on board with that in order to march there and make the most out of your summer.

It is all about opportunity and what speaks to you. Believe it or not, I auditioned for the Bluecoats a long time ago and had a different experience, but I ended up sticking with the corps I went back to for a few more years and it was the best decision I made in my entire drum corps career.

Just my $.02, but I am the expert ; )

Thanks everyone for the advice :smile:

As of right now, after checking with my options and everything, Pioneer seems like a great starting point for me. Especially after seeing their 2010 show, I'd like to see what Pioneer has in store for 2011. Not to mention, the next audition camp is late January, perfect timing for saving up money for the trip.

As for other corps, honestly, I would love to be in the Scouts, but, with less than a week to prepare, I really don't see that happening.

Same with Teal Sound, I love Teal, but as a rookie, I cant jump on the ship late. I realize that now.

So yea, of course, with a drum corps fanatic like me, I still have debating in my head over corps. Right now, the Legends open class corps is looking good for me too, but hey, I think Pio is the way to go this summer.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice :smile:

As of right now, after checking with my options and everything, Pioneer seems like a great starting point for me. Especially after seeing their 2010 show, I'd like to see what Pioneer has in store for 2011. Not to mention, the next audition camp is late January, perfect timing for saving up money for the trip.

As for other corps, honestly, I would love to be in the Scouts, but, with less than a week to prepare, I really don't see that happening.

Same with Teal Sound, I love Teal, but as a rookie, I cant jump on the ship late. I realize that now.

So yea, of course, with a drum corps fanatic like me, I still have debating in my head over corps. Right now, the Legends open class corps is looking good for me too, but hey, I think Pio is the way to go this summer.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup:

Actually when I marched Teal in 08 I joined in January after being in a basically identical situation (though I had gotten cut from Cadets, not Coats)... people jump on board during the winter camps all the time and sometimes even later... hell in both corps we had kids join as late as mid-July and still be great! Shoot Randy (Teal's director) or Dann (Scouts director) an email and see what they can do for you; I know from personal experience that both corps would love to have you come aboard to see what you can do!

And don't think I'm trying to sway you away from Pio - they're a great corps as well - but if you really want to march Scouts or Teal this summer it's not even close to too late. PM me if you have any questions about either corps. :)