Id like to know?

Id like to know anything about the combine years? Your thoughts from those who lived through it, your feelings about it, good or bad. Also wondering how you feel it relates to the g8, good or bad.

Combines were a godsend. Having to thresh that wheat with your bare hands and a scythe, then bundle and bale it? Awful.

• Like 1

Combines were a godsend. Having to thresh that wheat with your bare hands and a scythe, then bundle and bale it? Awful.

:rolleyes: Tommy, Tommy, Tommy :hehe:

Seriously though, what I remember most from those days was staying at the same schools as Troopers, 27th, Madison etc. which resulted in lots of "connections :wub: " between the kids. I myself started seeing a guy from Troopers. SCV got pretty tight with Madison and there were times when our hornline and theirs would combine and play "Never walk alone". It was an incredible sound.

It was cool when 3 or 4 of us would hit the road at the same time. It was pretty impressive seeing all the buses and trucks and RVs in one big caravan heading to the next show.

The one thing that made the biggest impression on me though was how my attitude changed from a feeling of "I can't possibly like these guys because I want to beat them soundly!". To one of respect and awe and liking how each Corps had their own unique style. We ended up being "Very" Competitive on the field yet afterward had some pretty good times. In a nut shell, it was FUN!

So that's it for me. And If I remember correctly (it was the 70s afterall :innocent: ). The Combine was only for one Season. DCI came next and the rest is History...

Additionally...After thinking about it for awhile, I have to say that the Combine and the G8 are very far apart at this point. It was such a different time then. The Combine was to make the judging more equitable. VFW and American Legion had different sets of rules. The new rules released creativity within the Corps proper. I believe that without the Combine, SCV would have had to scratch a lot harder to make it as far as we did. The cost of travel wouldn't have let us get back east as often either to make a name for ourselves. The Combine helped greatly with that. Yep, things sure were different BITD...

Edited by MsBusDriver

:rolleyes: Tommy, Tommy, Tommy :hehe:

Seriously though, what I remember most from those days was staying at the same schools as Troopers, 27th, Madison etc. which resulted in lots of "connections :wub: " between the kids. I myself started seeing a guy from Troopers. SCV got pretty tight with Madison and there were times when our hornline and theirs would combine and play "Never walk alone". It was an incredible sound.

It was cool when 3 or 4 of us would hit the road at the same time. It was pretty impressive seeing all the buses and trucks and RVs in one big caravan heading to the next show.

The one thing that made the biggest impression on me though was how my attitude changed from a feeling of "I can't possibly like these guys because I want to beat them soundly!". To one of respect and awe and liking how each Corps had their own unique style. We ended up being "Very" Competitive on the field yet afterward had some pretty good times. In a nut shell, it was FUN!

So that's it for me. And If I remember correctly (it was the 70s afterall :innocent: ). The Combine was only for one Season. DCI came next and the rest is History...

Additionally...After thinking about it for awhile, I have to say that the Combine and the G8 are very far apart at this point. It was such a different time then. The Combine was to make the judging more equitable. VFW and American Legion had different sets of rules. The new rules released creativity within the Corps proper. I believe that without the Combine, SCV would have had to scratch a lot harder to make it as far as we did. The cost of travel wouldn't have let us get back east as often either to make a name for ourselves. The Combine helped greatly with that. Yep, things sure were different BITD...

Great post, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Seems to me that it was put together to move away from the constraints of the AL, VFW and of course make the shows more worth there while. To come together as one group with one set of rules so everyone was on the same page thru the whole summer. Thanks agian for the insight from someone who lived thru it.