Mouthpieces

Scatfish

I don't know what a "Kelley Screamer" is but I do remember what one of our brass instructors constantly told his players. "Don't worry about your range, just practice hard, concentrate on the basics and the range will fall into your hands by itself".

I don't know what a "Kelley Screamer" is but I do remember what one of our brass instructors constantly told his players. "Don't worry about your range, just practice hard, concentrate on the basics and the range will fall into your hands by itself".

No.

In my opinion a Kelly Screamer is junk. In my opinion it is great for range but poor tone quality. I doubt any brass cap would let you use one, but I could be wrong. For high note playing, some mouthpieces to try are a Bach 10 1/2 c or an Allen Vizzutti or Doc Severinsen medium cup. These are kind of the middle of the rode sizes for trumpet players seeking more range. If you must, you could also try playing on something like a Schilke 14a4a or 13a4a.

Removed advertisement - Toby

If you are not playing lead but are marching trumpet in a DCI drumcorps, try a Flip Oakes # 3.

Edited by Toby
Advertisement removed - Toby

• 5 months later...

Wanna scream get a narrow cup....NOT a shallow unless you know how to use one. A good legit piece with good range is a Schilke (sp) 14a4a or a 13a4a. I don't like the sound that it gives but it gives a good handle throughout the whole range of the horn. Just try out a few pieces and get what feels right. A good rule of thumb is try and play as high as you can with a good tone and then do some low studies. If you can do both it's what you should get. As far as "cheaters" go it's crap....mouthpieces are tools. If you need a dime with a dent to do the gig then go for it, but I know a cat who can scream with the best of them on a Bach 7c.....it's just what he is comfortable on.

SC

Edited by SophumperMMX