1977 Oakland Crusaders

DRB

Much has been written and documented about that drum line. I have read that the tenor line did not receive a single tic the entire season. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is indeed accurate, this would likely be a record which will never be broken.

(working out a tenor feature in Sing Sing Sing, between tours)

Tom Float, enthusiastically: "OK guys, great, now do it kneeling down and leaning backward!"

M&M person, observing: "Tom, if they kneel for more than 20 seconds, it's stop time. And we need the time in motion."

Tom Float, not skipping a beat: "OK guys, can you mark time on your knees?"

I know Oakland had a monster line in 1977 - I'll honor them here with my respect. But.....I find it unlikely their tenor line (or any other section) went tickless for the entire season.

We had some great lines during my time with 27th (8 years). In every region of USA and Canada, there were always different tolerances from judging associations. Not saying there was bias, but there were interpretations of sorts when you travelled to "foreign" territory.

When we travelled south in1981, there was one judge who ate us up on stick position with our tenor line.....not "playing" ticks mind you - he had issues with movement and placement while marching, which was still technically a tick in the old days......I let him know what I thought about his "tolerance" because we had already been in 8 or 9 shows, had some really well respected DCI judges, and either they missed it, or it was not an issue.

...... I think the tenors were a smidge tighter in 78 and I know we got ticked now and then.

Regards,

John

Thanks John. I know every line - at any given time - could tick or else their PA scores were dreadful.

There were always judges that would say "no one is perfect - I can find a tick" and some were even boastful about it "I found a tick." Just proved to me how valuable experience and tolderance was at the end of the season.

I know this thread is specifically in reference to the tenor line, but how many people remember that, for a brief time during first tour in '77, Oakland's snare line spun rifles? Of course, there were too many ticks, so they had to take it out.

A Cavies guard friend of mine raved about that, said it was one of the neatest things he'd ever seen. Wish there were a photo to document it!

Much has been written and documented about that drum line. I have read that the tenor line did not receive a single tic the entire season. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is indeed accurate, this would likely be a record which will never be broken.

I just got off the phone with Cliff Blundell, one of the tenros in 77, and posed your question to him.

His responce:

"Not with me on that line. I think I ticked in every show but that one (meaning prelims)."

Regards,

John

I'm sure they ticked, because even machines can tick. Anybody really think Garfield was perfect at Finals in 1987? That said, the 1977 Oakland prelim performance is unbelievable. Should have gotten them an exhibition slot on Saturday night. Or just let them warm up on the field for 15 minutes, then march off.

IIRC, 1975 DCI one of the corps drumline (SCV?) received 4 tics at Finals.

1975 DCA Yankee-Rebels drumline (top drumline and corps came in 6th) received 6 tics at Finals. One drum judge followed them after the "tic" gun went off because he was enjoying it so much.

source: Post on DCP somewhere from one of the 1975 YR snares....

There's a photocopy in the photos thread of a percussion sheet from late in the season with one tick on it, IIRC. I can't remember if it's Bridgemen 82, SCV 1975 or Caballeros.