Color Guard = ?

I'd like to start a really positive topic and hear about what guard has given you....

For me: marching drum corp gave me the time of my life and shaped my thinking and dedication to grow and learn everything I can in life. My life wouldn't be the same without it. My biggest regret is not marching winter guard myself... but I did start teaching winter guard (and field show) for many years and now I have an incredible sense of accomplishments via awards, etc. but most importantly so many wonderful friends that I now consider my family. I had (as Oprah would say) an AH HUH moment at WGI 2010 when watching Pride at Semi-Finals......... one of my original students was on staff at Pride and one of my last students that I taught was sitting right in front of me watching..... totally unplanned. I thought - wow - look at this............ original student teaching PRIDE and last student (marching Opus X that year) watching Pride 18 years later...........

Amazing...

I'm still in awe of where color guard came from and where it is today and the huge growth in between.... the kids and young adults that are performing and teaching today - I wish you the same amazing blessing that it has given me.

What has the activity done for you?

• Like 1

Thanks Joey for this wonderful topic!

Colorguard introduced me to so many different kinds of people, allowed me to travel and see places I might not have otherwise visited, and (for some 10+ years) has been my creative outlet - all the flags and costumes I've designed and made over the years finally had a place to call home. My time with the marching band in high school was fun and our color guard was great! I am so thrilled that I got to be in WGI finals in 2001 and I have had such fun introducing my students to color guard (both indoors and outdoors) and seeing them latch on to the activity and desire to take it to the next level each time. I have been blessed to teach some super young ladies in a variety of geographic locations and economic backgrounds and I love that color guard brings them all together as one. The awards are a bonus - several undefeated outdoor seasons, gold, silver, and bronze medals, and championship performances that I love to watch because they are just so much fun!!

*As of yesterday, I resigned my post at my current school where I taught for 5 years. I'm leaving behind a truly wonderful group of young ladies . We accomplished many firsts - adding rifles, sabres and more dance to the program; winning the silver medal in our winterguard circuit; enjoying 2 undefeated outdoor seasons; being referenced as the modern day Miller's Blackhawks. I will cherish the many memories I have with those students and am grateful for the opportunity I had to work with them.*

I'd like to start a really positive topic and hear about what guard has given you....

Amazing...

I'm still in awe of where color guard came from and where it is today and the huge growth in between.... the kids and young adults that are performing and teaching today - I wish you the same amazing blessing that it has given me.

What has the activity done for you?

It has given me life long friends...some of the best people I have ever met have been through this activity.

• Like 1

If you'll endulge me, I'd like to add to this topic from a guard parent point of view (as my kids think "Good God Dad!")

Until my son's graduation last year I was what you might call THE guard dad at the high school my kids attended. I worked with the coaches setting up transportation, ordering "stuff" ect .. What guard added to me really, cannot be put into words. It literally changed my life (not to be too dramatic). When my daughter came home in 8th grade and told us she wanted to try out for this group that tosses flags I thought "Ok why not" .. after 5 trips to Dayton, countless bus rides to field competitions, watching as my son become a member of the 2009 DCI Champion Blue Devils, little did I know I would be HOOKED! Even with my not going to Dayton this year, I was a texting fool and the "Refresh" button on the scores page is probably worn out! I've met SOOO many amazing people along the way, from the coaches that my kids spent hours upon hours with I say THANK YOU, to some great people at WGI, other parents, but mostly some of the most dedicated and amazing kids I've ever come in contact with! As parents and fans we need to never loose track of what this activity is all about. The young ladies and gentlemen that do this simply because they just LOVE to!

To all of those that I've met thank you .. to those I didn't get a chance that are involved still, enjoy every second of it!! Ok I'm done with all the sapp :tongue:

• Like 1