Ed Trautner

I first wrote Ed when I was a member of Philadelphia PAL Cadets in the early 1970s and Ed had his column in Drum Corps News. When I went in the Army, I continued to write to Ed and it was he who encouraged me to write articles about the Northwest corps for Drum Corps News. In 1978, Ed told me to try my hand at shooting drum corps photos of those same Northwestern corps.

During a trip to Madison for WGI Finals in 1979, I was introduced to Bobby Hoffman who invited me to Bridgemen's next rehearsal camp in Jersey City. I hadn't given it a lot of thought, until Ed asked me if I was going to march with Bridgemen. I never did find out how he knew I sat in with Bridgemen's baritone line that weekend. Ed, even after all these years, still like to use the nickname "Dirty Harry" I picked up thanks to a PAL snare drummer, Mike O'Leary in 1971. (Yes, even before Clint Eastwood's movies ... lol .. which Ed and I had to laugh when he was a cop). I believe Ed also made sure Bridgemen knew of the nickname, probably by telling contra, Patrick Forker - the cop in the 1978 program. I can remember meeting up with Ed when Bridgemen got to Whitewater that summer of 1979 and he asked if Bridgemen were going to make finals in Birmingham. We had been getting beat by Guardsmen, Crossmen, 27th Lancers and North Star and it wasn't looking good. Ed was very happy when Bridgemen not only made finals, but placed 6th in Birmingham and Ed asked me when the decision was made to have the "South" with the "battle?" He cracked up when I told him I hadn't even noticed, but you had to love the response from the audience. Ed was genuinely sad when Bridgemen went in active in the mid 80s.

It was sad to see how much Parkinson's Disease rob us of a little more of Ed each year. The last 5 years I've been driving for Pioneer and spending more time in Wisconsin and always looked for Ed whenever at one of the shows in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Ed was kind enough to amswer questions I had about Parkinson's when my mother was diagnosed with the disease a couple years ago. It really is an evil affliction that slowly robs a person of their muscle function. Ed fought the affects of Parkinson's to the end ... I know when he could no longer drive it really bothered him. It was extremely sad to hear about Ed passing away, but as Steve Vickers reminded me ... he's in a better place. Medications have kept me from having much alcohol these last few years, but tonight, I'll have a beer for Ed and maybe order a pizza, too. Farewell my friend ... enjoy the rest .. you've earned it.

Getting to spend time on tour getting to know Ed Trautner was among the highlights of the nearly 25 summers I spent involved in the drum corps activity. He was one of the icons in my youth and a really nice guy in middle-age. I am sorry to learn of his passing.