Dye fabric Dye

I'm almost positive this topic has come up before, but.....

Anyone have any past experiance dying uniforms? I'm looking to do a white cotton unitard and dye it red that fades to black. What is the best brand of dye? Any tips?

Thanks!

Dharma Trading Company - www.dharmatrading.com

They carry a huge range of different types of dyes, dye-related chemicals and fabric art materials plus lots of different dye-able fabrics and many pfd (prepared-for-dying) garments and fabric things. Best prices I know of and their catalogs and website have tons of d-i-y instructions.

They sell 90/10 cotton spandex (90% cotton, 10% lycra) by the yard or bolt, which is the best blend for comfort and dying to deep or dark shades. I've used it many times and it works very well with their Procion MX "fiber-reactive" dyes, which are the easiest to use for special applications like tie-dying, screen-printing, air-brushing, spraying or hand-painting.

A red to black transition could be done in many different ways using hand application methods if you are open to textured or hand-painted appearances and some variation between uniforms. On the other hand, if what you want is something that looks like a perfectly even machine-made identical fade from red to black, that might take a lot of experiment and practice to develop a good d-i-y method. If I were going to tackle it I would probably start the experiments with a high-pressure paint sprayer designed for light-weight automotive paints and a large work space I could afford to get dye all over. I've made some pretty spectacular messes in the past. Getting a perfectly even fade would almost certainly require double-processing - spraying, curing and rinsing out one color before applying the next color.

I could digress into endless detail unless we narrow down the alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this article about painting flags with fading colors.

Maybe it could help you out?

http://www.colorguar...d=262&Itemid=27

edited: link wasn't working for me as created, so modified it.

Edited by ATXguard