Question

dasboot

So, I have another question relating to bugles. This summer, I will be marching with my high school as part of their alumni 4th of July parades. I would like to bring one of my G Bugles, either my Dynasty II contra, or my Dynasty II baritone, but what I need to know is whether or not I could reasonably blend in with a Bb/F horn line. If I am able to do this, what do I need to do? Do I transpose the music, or do I just use different fingerings? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

So, I have another question relating to bugles. This summer, I will be marching with my high school as part of their alumni 4th of July parades. I would like to bring one of my G Bugles, either my Dynasty II contra, or my Dynasty II baritone, but what I need to know is whether or not I could reasonably blend in with a Bb/F horn line. If I am able to do this, what do I need to do? Do I transpose the music, or do I just use different fingerings? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

You can transpose the music. Tell us what clef the bans parts are in, and what clef you want your bugle parts in

Once transposed, you're gonna find these things called A flat. You can't play them on your bugle, so during alumni band practice listen to the other sections and find a higher pitch that matches one of theirs.

If you find a low E flat, play it an octave higher, it'll fit.

You can transpose the music. Tell us what clef the bans parts are in, and what clef you want your bugle parts in

Once transposed, you're gonna find these things called A flat. You can't play them on your bugle, so during alumni band practice listen to the other sections and find a higher pitch that matches one of theirs.

If you find a low E flat, play it an octave higher, it'll fit.

All right thank you for the information. Both of the school's baritone and tuba parts are Bass Clef, and because my school hasn't changed in 25 years, our parade music will be in concert B flat. I can work with either Treble or Bass Clef, but Bass Clef is my preference.

Both of the school's baritone and tuba parts are Bass Clef . . . . Bass Clef is my preference.

Okay. Your bugle is pitched a minor 3rd lower than the Bb band instrument,so simply transpose the music a minor 3rd higher.

Don't try to explain all this to the band director. Just show up and play.

Okay. Your bugle is pitched a minor 3rd lower than the Bb band instrument,so simply transpose the music a minor 3rd higher.

Don't try to explain all this to the band director. Just show up and play.

Thank you very much for this information, it will make my life easier

I planned to just show up and play, that wasn't an issue. In all fairness he is a saxophone player, so when I said a played contrabass bugle he did not get it

Edited by dasboot

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just got the music, and there are two pieces. The first one is in Concert Ab, and the second is in Concert F. The second piece I am not worried about, but the second is a little concerning. Any advice for playing in Concert Ab on a Dynasty II baritone?

Pull your tuning slide out and use your lips

Edited by Contra94

Pull your tuning slide out and use your lips

Pulling the tuning slide out will put the bugle somewhere between G and G flat. Now, be specific on what the OP should do with his lips.

If there are any low E flats in the band music, you can't get them on a 2V bugle.

Read my previous posts on how to transpose and find substitute pitches.

Edited by HornsUp

You could think of it as playing a Bb horn with the 3rd valve stuck down. Which is how we did audition camps when we were short on horns BITD.

Alternatively for bass clef, the writting Bb, if fingered and played on the same partial of a G bugle would sound a G. The Eb would sound a C.

For treble clef, written C would sound a G, written F would sound a C. You have 3 semi-tones (half steps) extra tubing on the G bugle. If you want to match the Bb horns, transpose everything "written" up 3 three steps on a chromatic scale for the equivalent note, that will sound the same pitch. Up a minor 3rd, A whole tone and a half step, whatever works for you. Or just use one of their Bb horns if they have some laying about. They likely do.

Edited by Shadow_7