DCI Ft.Worth

Alright, I am super tired and have to work in the morning, so I am going to do what I can to make it a semi-informative review on what I remember. I did semi-micro reviews on both the main topic and my twitter (@ohwiseone), if you want shortened versions.

DISCLAMER: I sat on the first row on the 50, so I did not see any drill, only going off what I saw from the ground.

Blue Stars- First corps to step off. They were loud, like really loud. They sounded better than last season at this time, I love the scaffolding, they use it well and It gives them a lot of verticality drill and visual wise. From what I remember, I enjoyed the show greatly, good solid drum book and brass book. Nice visual from the guard, wish I could get the concept a bit better, but eh its early and only the first show.

SCV- I have gone back and forth in my head about this group all during the drive back. On one hand I enjoyed the show, and its loud in your face, and the Drums.. My god the drum book is just sick. The brass book is also very well arranged. It is still kinda in the meh category for me, the first half the of the show keeps your interest and is really really good, the back half is a bit meh, but that will be ironed out and fixed well before finals, all in all very good for an early show.

Phantom - first off, if you have been saying "ah there brass line isn't as strong, the drums and percussion aren't very good", then you need to leave this topic....they gone? good. Phantom had an amazing show, and surprised and impressed me, They had a ton of emotion for the first show and I was into all the way. The brass sounds wonderful have a powerful low section. The Drum book is still difficult in areas. They stage the "story" part of it well (a good example is during the ballad (I think), they have Romeo and Juliet on the platform in the back of the field and the corps kinda helps you realize they are there. Processional was really,really good and LOUD. This has a very 2008 feel to it. That is all I am really going to say about phantom, because I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth later this season.

Cadets - I love the brass book this year, also the "battle" that happens with the shiny poles is super unique. Cadets played tonight, and man did they play loud and well. the ballad is one of the best parts of the show, because of the battling tunes with each other. I love how the angels and demons are truly separate and you can tell that from there movement, and body language. It is a well written show, but I think it is still missing a bit of the "ommph" that cadets always have. It will show up thought, so I am not worried.

Carolina Crown - yeah the pre-show is cheesy, but hey the crowd was into it, and the kids are having fun. "eruption" is still a helluva brass moment in the show, even if it is still early. This show is a fun, Crowd pleasing show. I enjoyed it, the people around me enjoyed it, The crowd bought into everything they were selling. Its early and knowing crown THERE will be changes here in a while, but It is a good show and I hope it does it well, I enjoy watching it and raching out to it. I will end up seeing in and enjoying it again, but to say its Top 4 this year, I am gonna have to see it later on to really call it. (side note: The Visual helps sell the show SO MUCH).

Bluecoats - First I love the opening with "creep", Its well arranged and sounds really really good for this early. There is a hell of a brass feature that has multiple tonguing in it that made me smile. I also love the way they incorporated Mackey's "Harvest:Trombone Concerto" into the show, by putting the trombone solo part into the Tuba's, I mean as a tuba player myself Bravo Bluecoats. It is all a really really good show, It can be another medal placing show, again early to call, but they have the show to be Top 3 again.

The ballad is interesting, I love the idea with the 4 circles and separate musical ideas, and then meshing together to create a really pretty experience.It is something new and different, and something that is really cool, I hope they do not change a lot of this, it works beautifully on the field.

The Cavailers - This show is classic cavaliers. There horn book is freaking INSANE at some parts, and there drum book is also not a piece of cake. there is a lot of visual things going on in this show, and it is making it almost...Extraordinary. The tenors playing upside down, the drum break that has the snares tossing sticks to each other. I mean there is so much going on at once, I am going to have to watch it again soon. This is a championship caliber show, they had the crowd from the first hit, and never lost them.

I did not see the Blue Devils, because of the rain delay and we had to leave because of the drive, so I can't review it....Yet.

My top 3 : (THIS WILL CHANGE)

1) Cavailers

2) BlueCoats

3) Phantom

Edited by ohwiseone
  • Like 1