Loveland Love Shack

Text from a friend:

"Dude...SCV was gassed man, alt killed them. It was hard to watch, it was like someone let the air out of a balloon."

This gap will close when they come out of Colorado. This little SCV/PR toss is not over yet, I'm sure of it.

(Sorry, daughter is with Phantom, for clarification sakes.)

On the phone with the daughter. Says the guard run tonight was the worst of the season. The horns didn't have a good run either. The altitude is kicking all of their butts.

Agreed, the PR/SCV fight is far from over.

Edited by Directorofbands
  • Like 1

Indeed. How different is the panel tomorrow night?

Panel is the same, I believe.

The potential of this year's Phantom show is phenomenal ! The corps is, according to several posters here, producing a boring/lack luster/average show. BUT isn't it scoring well and beating shows that are extremely difficult/amazing/filled with difficulty???

Say, for some reason, Phantom's show continues to develop? Obviously to some there sure is room for improvement.

How are these shows that are so well developed and well presented right now, going to make as big of changes and score improvements???

THIS is what I love about drum corps!

WHO has the plan to do just enough to have something big left for finals?

Junk talk all you want, scores talk volumes.

• Like 1

I agree with all of this. I also think that Regiment will make the changes necessary to where this won't even be a horse race in the home stretch.

That being said, the PR show still doesn't make sense. SCV can build their endurance, stamina, and clean... but the PR members have no control over their design in its current form lacking fluidity.

Yup, the kids have no control over design.

I have faith that changes have already been written and will be implemented next week. If it's still tweaks next week.......... :huh2:

All that can be said is, it's great to be talking about such a great season with INCREDIBLE drum corps. Think how amazing corps are, anyone from 12-17 could make finals, the top 8 is going to be a absolute Dogfight and we could see a battle royale between corps 6-10 and possibly have 10 corps in the 90s? (Come on DCI thr Quality is there!!) I'm just so happy no one can say "Well, Corps ABCDEFG are all slotted for 123456 place." Isn't this cool? Whose gonna win? Who knows, Whose gonna be 12th? Who knwos? Whose gonna beat who in the end? Who knows. I'm just grinning ear to ear about the dynamics of how this season is progressing!! WAY COOL!!

Wes P

• Like 3

All that can be said is, it's great to be talking about such a great season with INCREDIBLE drum corps. Think how amazing corps are, anyone from 12-17 could make finals, the top 8 is going to be a absolute Dogfight and we could see a battle royale between corps 6-10 and possibly have 10 corps in the 90s? (Come on DCI thr Quality is there!!) I'm just so happy no one can say "Well, Corps ABCDEFG are all slotted for 123456 place." Isn't this cool? Whose gonna win? Who knows, Whose gonna be 12th? Who knwos? Whose gonna beat who in the end? Who knows. I'm just grinning ear to ear about the dynamics of how this season is progressing!! WAY COOL!!

Wes P

good point! it is good to see a good dog fight this year for a change.

The potential of this year's Phantom show is phenomenal ! The corps is, according to several posters here, producing a boring/lack luster/average show. BUT isn't it scoring well and beating shows that are extremely difficult/amazing/filled with difficulty???

Say, for some reason, Phantom's show continues to develop? Obviously to some there sure is room for improvement.

How are these shows that are so well developed and well presented right now, going to make as big of changes and score improvements???

THIS is what I love about drum corps!

WHO has the plan to do just enough to have something big left for finals?

Junk talk all you want, scores talk volumes.

Look at the recaps. PR is scoring relatively the same for content vs execution. SCV is, in many cases, outscoring PR on content/composition, it's the execution part of the score that's holding their scores down.

I'm as big of a Phantom Phan there is, but being on the instructional/design side, I know how the sheets work.

Will PR continue to develop their show? Of course they will! Will SCV continue to clean? You betcha!

As a Phan and as a designer/teacher/drum corps nut since 1980, I feel like, for me, there are some significant areas that Phantom's show design can use some fixin'. As a parent, I want my daughter to have the best vehicle available to showcase her (and the other 149 members) talents. This show still has the potential to be one for the annals of drum corps, but right now, it's not there.

Will it get there.......??????????? One can hope. Ask me a week from Saturday.

• Like 2

Wes P

Agreed. I think the quality bar continues to be raised and I think there are a lot more shows that I want to watch again and again. Can't say that about some other years.

Wow, BK beat SCV in Brass, Colorguard and Vis Ensemble! Only lost total GE to SCV by .4 and, they beat Phantom in Drums tonight!!! Watch out tomorrow at DATR, here comes the BLUE WHO FROM WHERE!!! (the name we coined ourselves in '98 when we snuck up and beat people that didn't expect it. the other corps would say "We got beat by the Blue Who From Where?" :thumbup:

Wes P

BK '97 '98

We took a chance and drove north hoping the weather would miss Loveland. The interstate we were driving got hit hard and flooded; we had to drive about 20 MPH for awhile so I apologize for not getting all corps.

I want to say the altitude is killer for corps and musicians alike. Another setback for all the corps was the grass was long and wet from all the rain we have had during the week. With that being said some of what I saw may be very off because the field was in poor condition and it is hard to adjust to altitude. Blue Knights aren't immune to the altitude either; a lot of their corps come from all over, I have housed kids for about 10 years now. Once you leave the state, like tour CA, you get so much oxygen you feel like you can go on forever. Just a week out of CO and you have to learn to breathe again.

I am not as technical as some that do reviews on here, I can only tell you how each corps made me feel and what I notice.

Phantom: Was very clean, I like their show. It's easy to follow, they have some really good effects but they need to tie them together; there are still some parts lacking. Their horn line is very good, as usual. The closure needs some work. The sound is good and the corps and guard intermingle well. Without a doubt I can say this corps is doing the hustle and the season is young. The crowd gave them a standing "O" at the end of their show.

SCV: I don't understand this show. I understand what I have read and what it supposed to mean but I just don't see it. The show is hard to follow; the drum line isn't used as much as "I" would like to see, because they are impressive. The horns are weak and don't sound like years past but again the altitude could have been at play here. One thing that dropped my jaw was a couple of the color guard mace tosses that hit the moon, WOW! When I saw them at Stanford I don't remember them using their equipment as much. The crowd cheered but there was not a standing "O".

Blue Knights: I am at a loss here. The show is crowd friendly and accessible. They are cleaning up but at the same time they are adding and refining the show. This is not the show I saw two weeks ago! The brass is loud and pure. The drums are so integrated in the show it is amazing, I LOVE them, it is a very exciting part of the show and it really works the crowd up. Obviously I am passionate about BK and have followed them for years but truthfully this is my favorite show. This is BK finding their niche. During several parts of the show the crowd applauded because it just felt good. The show is fun! The crowd gave it a standing "O". This is a difficult show that is still under construction. There are some shows you've seen through the years you just remember, this will be one of them.

Academy: I find it hard to believe they just moved into world class. They should be very proud. They have very finals worthy opener but their ballad needs something more. They need some work on their closer.

I am anxious to see tomorrow night’s show; I think it will be more accurate considering the conditions tonight.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom