Does anyone here actually enjoy these snippets in Cavaliers show?

I'm still scratching my head over the vocal clips. All I can figure is that they want to stress the words as a theme statement in the first clip. And I take the point somebody made here that the second one could be meant to be a jarring decompression, but I'm still not sure what to make of it. So unless most people have an epiphany because of the lyrics, wouldn't ensembles or solos work just as well in those two places?

I guess I don't have much poetry in my soul. The show theme that was easiest for me to "get" was the Colts' "Fathoms." Ship sails out, hits a storm, has an emergency, makes it through and sails into port. When you get up into the rare air of the TOC, though, you have to be a card-carrying MLA deconstructionist to understand what they're saying. And for the humor-challenged, I'm exaggerating for effect...

• Like 1

I delight in that effect! Thank you for chiming in on this subject. But the argument you offer would work equally well in support of having the entire brass and drum line prerecorded, so that the members could move faster on the field and not have to worry about playing. That is: some things are hard to do, and finding a way to achieve them within the fundamental nature of the activity is what makes it special.

Sure. For the record, I said I understood the usage but I didn't say I thought it was better. Easier is better when you are talking about engineering but generally is not better when you are talking about art.

BTW. Everyone that reads this thread NEEDS to see tonight's episode of Southpark. It fairly well sums up the state of the new school vs old school music argument.

Then why not add woodwinds? The basic features of drum corps is still there, but with several added extra flavors.

Slippery slope.

You've also lost the fundamental sound of drum corps. You've lost the pure sound of the brass overtones. Now, it's marching band, which is good and entertaining, but NOT drum corps.

Exactly. Thank you for agreeing with me about adding woodwinds to drum corps!!!!!!

Your logic makes no sense to me at all. No problem with it? So when DCI no longer exists because it's been replaced with an anything goes Lady Gaga concert approach, then what is it? It's completely lost it's identity and it has no meaning anymore, it's just like all the other crap in our American Idol world now. :thumbdown:

Dogmatic Obedience to Tradition? You're good with words, but what you're talking about isn't obedience to tradition, it's the elimination of the uniqueness of an activity. If you want to see an anything goes musical visual performance, seriously, go see a Lady Gaga or Brittany Spears concert (I guess they are considered concerts) and that's what you'll have. Why do you need to push the agenda of the bastardization of the art I love? :rock:

Man, you and Jeff Ream with the melodrama. How do you jump from electronics to Lady Gaga? Nothing in DCI is even close to that.

Thank you for complimenting my vocabulary. How about "animal-like obedience "? I don't really know why drum corps NEEDS to be unique, as long as it has the highest performance level, which it does.

• Like 2

Man, you and Jeff Ream with the melodrama. How do you jump from electronics to Lady Gaga? Nothing in DCI is even close to that.

Thank you for complimenting my vocabulary. How about "animal-like obedience "? I don't really know why drum corps NEEDS to be unique, as long as it has the highest performance level, which it does.

I dunno, some of the shows I'm starting to see aren't very far from a Lady Gaga concert already. Have you seen Cavies guard unis? :blink: Not to mention all the "goo" coming out of Techno, I mean, Teal Sound. :ph34r:

I dunno, some of the shows I'm starting to see aren't very far from a Lady Gaga concert already. Have you seen Cavies guard unis? :blink: Not to mention all the "goo" coming out of Techno, I mean, Teal Sound. :ph34r:

Did you see Cavies 2003 guard unis? Much more silly than this.

• Like 1

I don't know about more silly, but equally silly, I'll give you that. I guess that's artistic.......

• Like 1

So accordians are cool? Who knew? This guy will be very pleased to have DCI's stamp of approval....

walt1.jpg

I mean - isn't this what everyone dreams of at audition camp?

This is legal...

fr-18_d-bk_top_gal.jpg

Imagine a very

... and Blue Devils doing
? It would be beyond cool.

BTW -

is
the
. (The first one... Gintare... used to play on my street all the time)

So, back to the accordion being incredibly uncool?

Im not talking about the upside down playing or the bass drummers on the drums. Im talking about the electronic "nature boy" at the beginning of the show that pops up halfway through again, or the accordion playing, or the weird electronic effects. I have the hardest time swallowing this stuff...

I cannot stand their entire preshow musically at all. The "X's" that the corps makes with the members are pretty cool but its totally ruined by the synthesized garbage coming out of the speakers. And an accordion? Really? Since when have accordions ever been cool??

I think that Cavaliers have my favorite visual show this year, and as evidenced by last year, they can put out really great brass sound and their brass book isnt bad, as much as they cant play loud because they have all of this electronic weirdness going on.

Does anyone actually enjoy hearing any of the things I mentioned?

I feel like I am pretty easy going when it comes to corps and what they decide to do, but this just irritates me... Especially with how good Mad World was last year, I just feel like this excessive use of electronics is a step in a very very wrong direction...

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: I feel EXACTLY the same way. I really hate the recorded samples they are using this year. I still really like the show, but I would really LOVE the show if they removed all of the electronic garbage. It will never happen though. Just listen to the corps staff on the fan network talk about the show and the nature boy music. It is clear by the way they talk about it that they think it is absolutely essential to the essence of the show and is just wonderful stuff. I can only speak about things as they relate to me, but when I saw the staff talking about this music like it was essential and provided a great experience, I thought to myself, "Talk about a disconnect between the staff and the audience!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It is absolutely ridiculous. I still like this year's show more than last year's though. Many of the corps keep adding more and more and more electronics to a point where I don't want to listen to shows I used to love just earlier in the year. It is really starting to make me angry. I used to love this activity, and I almost took a complete break from it this year. But then, I got the fan network, saw the first show, and thought, "Hey, this looks like an awesome year!" But then, they added and added and added the electronics and now it is starting to really suck. Will this be my final year watching drumcorps? I'm thinking it's very likely at this point. And don't expect DCI or anyone on this board to care either. You saw what others were saying ("Go watch DCA") or "Deal." Wow, thanks for that. So either shut up about your honest opinions and just "decide" to like what the corps are putting out or go away. Think I'll do the latter.

No, these are much, MUCH worse. I saw them up-close and personal in Denton and they are absolutely the worst guard outfits I have ever seen.

This is legal...

fr-18_d-bk_top_gal.jpg

Imagine a very

... and Blue Devils doing
? It would be beyond cool.

BTW -

is
the
. (The first one... Gintare... used to play on my street all the time)

So, back to the accordion being incredibly uncool?

Just because there are attractive people who play the accordian doesn't make it "cool". It is still very uncool to play the accordian. I think the majority would agree.

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 1