Recruiting Ideas

I've been thinking about resources corps have at their disposal to aid in the recruitment process.

One of the biggest, most eye-catching item is the food truck. How many corps offer to feed high school or college marching bands during their Fall rehearsals? Many programs have Saturday rehearsals and I think it would be a great idea if a corps offered to cater a rehearsal. Burgers and hot dogs wouldn't be a huge financial investment. A different high school/college each Saturday. The corps could just make it a "soft sell". Have info available but not step on any toes with heavy-handed recruiting.

What are other recruiting options can you think of that don't require a big financial investment?

I like this idea, but I wouldn't go school to school. Lots of corps sell souvies at marching band shows, but what if they brought their food trucks out and sold food? It's the same concept, and ya you're charging for food, but you can have a big sign that says "Eat like these 5 times a day this Summer!" and people will get the message.

Mostly though I'd like to see more things on the experience. Things that I rarely heard from corps were how rehearsals work (are you at attention the whole time, gush n go's, actual water breaks, do they laugh or do they stay in hard-core mode, etc.), what the sleep schedule is like (up at 6 every day regardless of when the busses pulled in?) and how many shows the corps expects to do that Summer. And honestly, corps should post their show concept before audition camps. It's not fair for a corps member to sign up for a corps and end up marching a show they don't believe in (and yes, I think this happens way more than we think).