Phantom Regiment trying to do what Madison has done recently?

First, you could argue that by placement, Phantom has been more successful than Madison over the last couple years. Secondly, Phantom revisits old tunes somewhat frequently, one example being the 2008 revival of their classic Spartacus show. Many corps revisit songs that have been played before, recently 2009 and 10 Vanguard, 2007 BD, 2009 Bluecoats, etc. The Scouts, after straying from their roots for the better part of the decade, went back to their old style. Phantom, on the other hand, has always been the same old Phantom. And I don't see them changing in the future. Which is great.

• Like 1

First, you could argue that by placement, Phantom has been more successful than Madison over the last couple years. Secondly, Phantom revisits old tunes somewhat frequently, one example being the 2008 revival of their classic Spartacus show. Many corps revisit songs that have been played before, recently 2009 and 10 Vanguard, 2007 BD, 2009 Bluecoats, etc. The Scouts, after straying from their roots for the better part of the decade, went back to their old style. Phantom, on the other hand, has always been the same old Phantom. And I don't see them changing in the future. Which is great.

Think of fan response. The last 2 years Madison has been one of the most liked/remembered shows.

• Like 1

So recently Madison Scouts have went back to their roots and are creating shows that bring back bits of previous years. Last year Phantom brought back Romeo and Juliet and this year bringing back Nessun Dorma. Is Phantom trying to create the success that Madison has had?

Really?

IF you followed Phantom Regiment you would know that songs like Amazing Grace, Elsa's and Nessun Dorma have rotated through the corps encore presentations and warmups for decades.

Perhaps you can explain why you believe Phantom is following Madison's 'successes'?

Could it be possible that MADISON is copying Phantom's successful 'recreation' of its early 80's version of Sparticus? After all, Phantom has had a bit more success in placement the last few years, so isn't Madison doing their best to create Phantom's success(es)???

Edited by rkfdPRphan
  • Like 1

Really?

IF you followed Phantom Regiment you would know that songs like Amazing Grace, Elsa's and Nessun Dorma have rotated through the corps encore presentations and warmups for decades.

Perhaps you can explain why you believe Phantom is following Madison's 'successes'?

Could it be possible that MADISON is copying Phantom's successful 'recreation' of its early 80's version of Sparticus? After all, Phantom has had a bit more success in placement the last few years, so isn't Madison doing their best to create Phantom's success(es)???

1 i have no problem with what they are doing i in fact love it. Im not talking about placement Im talking about connecting with the fans.

Think of fan response. The last 2 years Madison has been one of the most liked/remembered shows.

.....let's see.....

In 2008 huge sections of the viewing crowd at Championships would jump up from their seats to shout 'I AM Sparticus' and cheer as the show finishes. Perhaps you couldnt hear that on the recordings, but people were screaming and cheering - especially at Final night with the ultimate death. NO SHOW has as many people up cheering, crying, screeming.

2010 - as the corps runs into the tunnel there is standing and cheering, Into the Light.

2011 - as Juliet tried to wake Romeo at midfield, she realizes he is dead, grabs his dagger, climbs the podium and stabs herself. THIS lead to as big as a cheer as any Madison show.

But, I guess the point is in this thread to 'prove' Madison was, is and will be better.

A bit hard to prove, IMHO........

• Like 1

1 i have no problem with what they are doing i in fact love it. Im not talking about placement Im talking about connecting with the fans.

Are you REALLY arguing that Phantom Regiment doesn't connect with fans? Because that's more absurd than the 2008 Blue Devils.

Edited by mikespeed
  • Like 6

.....let's see.....

In 2008 huge sections of the viewing crowd at Championships would jump up from their seats to shout 'I AM Sparticus' and cheer as the show finishes. Perhaps you couldnt hear that on the recordings, but people were screaming and cheering - especially at Final night with the ultimate death. NO SHOW has as many people up cheering, crying, screeming.

2010 - as the corps runs into the tunnel there is standing and cheering, Into the Light.

2011 - as Juliet tried to wake Romeo at midfield, she realizes he is dead, grabs his dagger, climbs the podium and stabs herself. THIS lead to as big as a cheer as any Madison show.

But, I guess the point is in this thread to 'prove' Madison was, is and will be better.

A bit hard to prove, IMHO........

Not to mention they were playing Elsa's....

And I would say it is the other way around. Scouts are trying to do what Phantom has done. And Phantom connects with the crowd EVERY year. Even 09 got a good response from much of the crowd (not I... I actually dosed off... haha).

• Like 1

I will give you one specific example of 'connecting with fans' that some corps have maybe matched, but not surpassed:

Early 1990's, Ames Field, Michigan City Indiana. Competition is over. Great shows. Back then all corps lined up on field (like Finals night now) and as each score was announced the DM would accept the score, go back to their corps and the corps would play a song as they left the field.....basically saluting the corps above them.

As each corps left, the Lake Michigan fog rolled in and over the field. We could see less and less. Phantom Regiment 'won' the competition and by the time they played to the fans, we could not see them. They played Amazing Grace. There are no words to describe what that sounded like as it came to us through the fog. I doubt the corps saw that a lot of the crowd was standing and many of the rest of us were crying......it connected to the crowd.

• Like 1