I've never played a brass instrument before

Buranri

I know you're interested in high brass, but baritone would really be a better idea. It's easier to learn, and should you change your mind and decide to march, there are generally not as many baritone players as there are trumpets/mellos making it less competitive. If you're set on high brass, mellophone would probably be easier to get the right notes, but getting a good tone is really hard for a lot of people. As stated, it's difficult switching from high brass from low brass due to embouchure differences, so you might be better off starting with high brass and then experimenting with low brass if you've got the time/patience. Good luck!

Hmmm... Alright. Lots of good stuff here.

When you say switching to a higher instrument is difficult... Do you mean as difficult as learning any new instrument, or more challenging than normal?

It seems like baritone is the best choice here, so I'm pretty sure I'll do that. Drum corps is fun (almost) no matter what you play, so I'm honestly not really too picky... I'm planning on going to auditions and saying "hey, the only things I'm NOT willing to play/learn are contra, guard; and auxiliary pit. Where should I go?" Bass is my main instrument, but I've studies a lot of quads, some snare, and I'm technically a decent mallet player - even if my skills in scales and such are lacking. If I learn the basics of a brass instrument as well, I could possibly fill spots they need basically anywhere in the corps.

From what I've read here and seen in person, seems a lot of non-brass go to the Bari and really have no idea why. Know of one non-brass player in my family who fools around with an old Bari (small size) and an old Alto horn with an alto (NOT trumpet) mouthpiece. For her a trumpet mouthpiece was just too small to deal with "just for fun". Guessing reason is easier to get used to the larger mouthpiece but not a music major so don't know (only play the blasted thing). With learning positions and getting used to carrying the thing all day, you'll have enough challenges without dealing with a horn that;s harder than it could be.

Anyone out there got an idea why lot of non-brass players go to the Bari? Looking at you HornsUp cuz I know your background....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Borrowed our baritone today (luckily we own 1 marching one). One of our players taught me some basic stuff... Mostly just about partials. We talked a bit about slurs and tonguing. Anyways, brass instruments are a lot of fun.

From what I've read here and seen in person, seems a lot of non-brass go to the Bari and really have no idea why.

Anyone out there got an idea why lot of non-brass players go to the Bari? Looking at you HornsUp cuz I know your background....

I am one of that legion (switched over from clarinet). Looking back, I think it has a lot to do with embouchure: the baritone's embouchure is natural and "just right" for new players. It is much easier to pick up and play than anything else; I was able to go from nothing to a drum corps audition in six days.

I am one of that legion (switched over from clarinet). Looking back, I think it has a lot to do with embouchure: the baritone's embouchure is natural and "just right" for new players. It is much easier to pick up and play than anything else; I was able to go from nothing to a drum corps audition in six days.

:worthy:

Or pick one back up after 19 years of not being in corps and about 12-14 years of not playing a horn at all..... Playing lower parts also helps on new or returning chops....

I usually do recommend baritone, but if high brass is your thing, you can go for it. I would recommend trumpet over mellophone for somebody just starting out. The mouthpieces are very similar sizes, and trumpet, being a Bb instrument, is much easier to get the hang of reading music for. Also, I bet if you have any trumpeter friends, they'd be glad to help you out with starting. I would say move to mellophone after learning another brass instrument, if you want to.

Also, I would say get some lessons on it to begin with, so you have a chance of making a hornline. Don't wait until you develop bad habits and then ask a teacher to help you undo them. It's a frustrating obstacle.

I had not really a lesson, but just a basic introduction with one of my friends a week ago. I've been working on my own since then, stuff from the Cascades packet. I'm going to have a lesson sometime soon, so hopefully I can be mostly prepared for the camp on the 26th.

Quick technique question - when switching partials, what exactly do your lips do? I can hit a D above the staff fairly easily starting from nothing, but when I try to move up to it I have issues. The best I can describe what I do is pulling my bottom lip in towards my teeth to play higher notes, but I feel like that isn't right.

I agree with just about all of the comments regarding starting on Baritone. Just remember that it's the 2nd heaviest front carried horn in the line.

I started on trumpet, then went to baritone after I got braces. Frankly, I missed playing the melody, and high notes, and went back to trumpet and mellophone a year later. Yeah, there were a few shows where I got some blood out of the spit valve, but oh well. The braces were the worst with cut wire pointing outward.

I started my drum corps career with SCV on 2nd Baritone. I eventually lead soprano with SCV in 1981 with my braces still on. After I got the braces off, I completely lost my lip. I joined The Blue Devils and played LFL-Soprano (4th) to get my lip back in 1983 - no more baritone for me. The following year I was joined the ranks of the famous UFLS.

As for the private lessons - I would say worry about that AFTER you've decided that brass is your instrument. I didn't take my first private lesson until I was a senior in high school.

You'd do well by contacting my friend Mike Quillian with the Oregon Crusaders (shameless plug). Mike, like me, is an alum of the 76th Cavalry Band - Indepedence HS, San Jose as well as an undefeated DCI champ with the Blue Devils (79, 80, 82).

Quick technique question - when switching partials, what exactly do your lips do? I can hit a D above the staff fairly easily starting from nothing, but when I try to move up to it I have issues. The best I can describe what I do is pulling my bottom lip in towards my teeth to play higher notes, but I feel like that isn't right.

When you move between partials, you should concentrate on what your air is doing, rather than forcing it with lip movement. To move higher, concentrate on focusing the air further away from you, and slightly down towards the hole in the back of the mouthpiece. And to move lower, concentrate on moving the air long and even (Not slower!) and angled slightly up through the hole of the mouthpiece. The movement you describe seems normal, but you should focus on keeping tension away from your mouth, face, and throat so that any movement needed will be natural and a minimal. If you have any more questions about brass playing, feel free to PM me.